Run Fast Scott!

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Run Fast Scott!

Postby xrodolfox » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:59 am

Runrevolt is running at the Chicago Marathon Right!
Check him out: Bib#422
http://www.chicagomarathon.com/
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Re: Run Fast Scott!

Postby fredrikw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:25 pm

good work Runrevolt, 02:28:24 and 63rd place overall :shock:
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby crapiecorn » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:28 pm

I was watching the race and meanwhile checking splits. I think about half way all hope for trial qualification was out the door ? I follow Scott's quit closely and it kind of broke my heart a little bit knowing how bad he wanted it / hard he trained for it.
crapiecorn

Postby fredrikw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:41 pm

[quote="crapiecorn"]I was watching the race and meanwhile checking splits. I think about half way all hope for trial qualification was out the door ? I follow Scott's quit closely and it kind of broke my heart a little bit knowing how bad he wanted it / hard he trained for it.

ouch, missed that. knew about the trial but didn't know the specifics.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby kallefs » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:33 pm

Yeah, I wonder if something happened about halfway in. He had good speed up until the halfway mark. Was hitting F5 frequently :)

Still, a fantastic achievement that most people can only dream of!
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby chloe » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:10 pm

yeah! firstly got to say what a brilliant effort,it was a crushingly hot day out there even so early in the morning,and thats got to have effected all of the runners!
RunRevolt clocked an awesome time,even though as said above it kind of broke my heart too, to know it was out of his target range.
I just hope he realises how brilliant and inspiring he is for the rest of us,and thats got to count for something too!! :D
Good work RR and remember this is just one more step in the direction of qualification!!
chloe

Postby james79 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:04 pm

I know it wasn't what he was hoping for but 2.28 is still awesome.

The marathon is tough and to run well everything has to go perfectly, especially when your goal leaves no room for error. In a 10k if things don't go to plan you may miss your goal by 20seconds. In a marathon if you are even 99% on the day you can hit that wall and suddenly you are 10 or 15minutes out...

Still, 2.28 is a phenomenol time and I hope he is not too disappointed. Look forward to the report :)

I know he will run sub 2.19. It is just a matter of time.
Don't let your outrage for injustice end where your selfishness begins
james79

Postby E-P » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:42 pm

[quote="james79"]
I know he will run sub 2.19. It is just a matter of time.

That is exactly what I thought as well. Runrevolt after the rest and mental recovery time to head thoughts to new competitions. You are the man!
E-P

Postby TMH » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:51 pm

With his determination and dedication, runrevolt will achieve. Totally rocking!
TMH

Postby runrevolt » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:13 am

Hey everybody, I'm back home (and feeling like absolute hell as I obviously suffered from mild dehydration).

I'm really touched by all the comments, encouragement and support, leading up to the race and beyond.

I'll write a detailed post tomorrow, but as a quick summary for now - I knew I had to go for the trials whether I was feeling ready or not. I had trained for it and put in a lot of work with that goal in mind. I knew that I'd need an A+ day to qualify and maybe that wouldn't even have been enough, but as someone else said, this is one more step towards qualifying. It may seem like a step back considering I ran 2 1/2 minutes slower than last year, but I don't see it that way. Little did I know, it was actually 67 at the start of the race, when I was assuming it was 59 like the weather projected. It obviously wasn't and that become apparent later in the race as the temperatures continued to climb in the hot sun....reaching 75 by the finish of the race. That sort of temperature is just too much and my coach admitted to me that when he stepped out the door that morning, he knew this wasn't going to be the day any of us qualified.

Regardless, all was not lost. I still went for it to see where I might end up and I was feeling solid during the first half of the race. I stayed with the 5:18 group and was on point for the first 8 or 9 miles before things started to get away from me. I had some crazy moments in the beginning, having to literally hurdle a runner who fell in front of me at a water stop and making surges to stay with the group. When they started to get away I was just biding my time, hoping I could make a resurgence if my body came around, and I was quite surprised that I came through 1/2 way at 1:10:16, which was still in range to have an awesome race if I ran negative splits....but honestly, I knew at that moment that it wasn't going to happen. I was already experiencing some small bits of physical breakdown that would only get worse throughout the race.

I tried not to give in and was still hoping my body would make a recovery and I'd have a second wind to make a push for at least a PR, but the heat became more and more noticeable and I could feel it affecting my heart rate. I've been around the block enough to know what the heat does to my body and this was unmistakeable. Anyways, I could feel it taking out my breath and my body, but I still kept trying to make surges. I managed to hold on to some passing runners and make some strong efforts to pick up the pace, but I really felt slower and slower and slower. Then around 22 things got real ugly and after going through a water stop I had to literally STOP and stretch my leg as it had tightened up completely. I was really concerned that was the end of my race, but somehow after loosening it I was able to keep going. I made it to the home stretch (about 3 miles) and found the ability to push (not that fast, but still pushing) and passed a number of runners. It hurt and I was slow, but I made it all the way and came through at 2:28.

It wasn't a PR and not even close to qualifying or even a time incentive point, but I was shocked I still came in at 2:28 considering how slow I was rolling at certain parts of the race. Even more shocking, I'm not NEARLY as beat up this year as I was last year. I don't even have to hold onto walls to get around. I'm still talking to my coach about our next plans, but I can honestly say I feel wiser and have more options to capitalize on to continue trying to qualify. I have two more attempts (spring and fall next year) and I'm still confident I can make the Trials.

Again, a deep and genuine thanks to everyone who followed me to this point and lent so much support and encouragement. You don't know how much it truly helps. There were many times I wanted to stop and walk on the course out there (elites and others were dropping out all over hte place today), but I knew a number of you were following and I didn't want to let anyone down. So thank you for keeping me going.

So that's it for now....I'll put up a detailed blog post tomorrow. Onward friends!
http://www.runvegan.wordpress.com
runrevolt

Return to Vegan Runners