Should you be an activist whilst running races?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Should you be an activist whilst running races?

Postby ha » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:21 am

Heck yeah! :) Let me fill you's in on a fun strategy Ive been using lately..

I start races at the back of the pack and just run thru the crowd as the distance progresses. This allows me to pass a few thousand/hundred fun runners wearing my 'go vegan' singlet and allows them the experience being passed by a vegan. :) Cos lots of crew want to go vegan but they have limiting beliefs programmed into them ie: I wouldnt get enough protein.. :P

Its a great race strategy but not if your wanting a pb in a REALLY big mass start race where you have to wait for the crowd to disperse for fast running. So use this strategy to your advantage. You dont even need to enter if you dont want your time recorded. You can do what runners call a 'ghost run' and run with no number. But I do enter most races and have been using the name 'go vegan' so when people are reading the race results..they read something extra. :) Like in this race.Guess who I am? http://www.mullumtobruns.org.au/results.html (Click on runner by overall order). Again, for this race I started near the back and wound it up. Nobody passed me and I just picked runners off in the distance and ran past them.

Ive got a half marathon tommorrow and will start off easy and then wind it up and see if I can crack my pb of 1:22:35. I find its a great mental bonus passing runners in a race vs holding the same pace in a pak and hanging on. Besides, all my running mates say its better to run negative splits in races anyway. (Negative split is where you run slighter faster time in the last half of the race.) Im pretty new to run races so Ive been asking a lot of crew for tips. Ive been racing bikes for 13 years and its all about surging and sprinting vs holding the same heart rate for a certain distance like in running. Ive done my fair share of running races where I just went out with the leaders only to blow up hardcore and DNF but all I had to do was run at MY pace and would have been fine. In road cycling you MUST ride the majority of the race at the packs pace so you get the benefit of the draught.

I did a marathon (Brisbane, 3:49) at the start of August and started at the very back and then talked with people and jogged for 20km and then wound it up to pass a whole stack of people for the last half. It was great training and I wasnt even sore the next day. So thats a good plan for races that you dont want to do cos your not going to pb, but just do them anyway and just jog the first half and pump the last half/quarter etc.

Its easy to get in the mindset of 'I dont want to be a slow runner and promote veganism..' But remember, there is always someone faster/slower than us on any given day so dont worry about it and start at the back of the pack and wind it up as the distance goes on and above all 'HAVE A FUN WORKOUT! :)

Thanks for read'n.

raw vegan banana case that has cycled over 190 000km cycled as a vegan.

y - youtube.com/durianriders
f - facebook.com/durianrider
t - twitter.com/durianryder
b - durianrider.org
w - 30bananasaday.com

Drink up, carb up, sleep up... cos everyday is the day to live it up!
ha

Re: Should you be an activist whilst running races?

Postby xrodolfox » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:37 am

That's actually a pretty cool thing to do.

I've always thought of doing that for my races, but since I'm mostly fast at swimming, coming in first makes the biggest impression since no one can really see you underwater.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:05 am

Yeah, I like that...and interesting to see you're running more that cycling these days.

My pet hate is people aiming to run a HM in 2:15 and lining up in the 1:30 part of the start, meaning folk like me have a lot of slow people to fight through, but that's a positive side of that.

I discouraged myself from joining VRUK for a while because I felt slow and therefore not a good advert, but now I'm a bit faster I'm happier with the vest.

Nice one Ha.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby james79 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:44 am

Yes, definitely!

Doesn't matter if you are fast, medium or slow and finish near the back. Running a 10k, 1/2marathon or marathon is more than 99% of the population can do so to me it is all good activism.

I used to get a buzz out of running in my VR vest and it was my way of doing stuff for veganism. My best memories in running were winning races in the VR vest. Got a bad knee at the moment but hopefully I will be able to do it again :| .
Don't let your outrage for injustice end where your selfishness begins
james79

Postby fredrikw » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:31 pm

sounds excellent, although when I'm racing I'm way too competitive to voluntarily stand further back than I have to :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby ha » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:39 am

Yesterday ran a 1:25:53 half marathon http://connect.garmin.com/activity/48587675 and there was 4 groups with 5minutes gap between them. I started at in the second group as it was a very narrow course and I wanted to run a pb or close too and didnt want to get stuck in too much traffic.

Bonus for this course was it was 2 laps of a 10km circuit and on a bike path the whole time so there was always someone I was passing and someone running toward me that got to read 'go vegan' a few times during the race. :)

By wearing a vegan singlet its a great way to meet other fellow vegans or people that are interested in eating a healthier diet. I usually just give em a few websites or book titles: (I give em what they look like they would enjoy reading)

Heart Attack Proof
80/10/10
DrMcDougall Plan
Thrive Diet
Veganbodybuilding & Fitness
Skinny Bitch
raw vegan banana case that has cycled over 190 000km cycled as a vegan.

y - youtube.com/durianriders
f - facebook.com/durianrider
t - twitter.com/durianryder
b - durianrider.org
w - 30bananasaday.com

Drink up, carb up, sleep up... cos everyday is the day to live it up!
ha

Postby skoptic » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:30 pm

[quote="fredrikw"]sounds excellent, although when I'm racing I'm way too competitive to voluntarily stand further back than I have to :)

+1 - but I like the idea of planning it so you overtake everyone :-). Usually I run at a good constant pace - so this ends up happening a bit (because of all the people who leg it at the start and then slow) ... nothing nicer than overtaking people while wearing the vegan kit :-) Good work fella ...
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Konstantin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:01 pm

It's also quite good as a tactic if you happen to be running quit a long way like a double Ironman, eh?
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby skoptic » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:26 pm

ah yes.. ;-) - thanks! although with 42 laps on the run, I didn't need any tactics to get seen a lot. I'm affectionately known as "that vegan guy" after doing the whole race in vegan kit :-)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Querfeldein » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:19 pm

On racing strategy, I think a near even split (assuming flat course and no wind) is the optimum for long distance races. In a big road race, that already means you'll be passing lots of runners in the second half, simply because most runners start out too fast, and end up with positive splits. So, if you run a marathon in, say 4:00, all you have to do is run an even pace. That probably works down to about 3:30. If you are too fast relative to the traffic, you will have to zig-zag a lot and probably annoy people, or even come across as arrogant.
Querfeldein

Return to Vegan Runners