Upping my distance and having some questions

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Upping my distance and having some questions

Postby laur15 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:31 am

Hi everyone,
I am currently "training" for a half-marathon. Meaning that I am trying to train, as it's difficult due to my job as a personal trainer and fitness instructor. I am finding I do too much.

I am doing a half-marathon in September but, until recently, was running every day. I found I was getting burned out easily and, perhaps, not fueling enough.

In general, I take Mondays off (this is new), Tuesday I run with a client (about 5km very slow) and teach two or three fitness classes (mostly strength but my heart rate does get up). Wednesday I usually do a quick 6-7km by myself. Thursday I run with that same client and teach one fitness class. Friday I run a quick 5km, do yoga, and run with another client. Saturday I run with the first client, teach a hard, insane fitness class. Sunday I do a "long" run.

My client that goes Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday has been cancelling lately so it hasn't been as much. I also recently bought a road bike and am cycling here and there.

In general, I'm pretty busy. I work about 60 hours a week (except August is much lighter) and would love to build muscle but haven't found the time. I've now discovered I think I can do just one thing at a time.

My question is, is it possible to train for a 1/2 marathon with all of this other stuff going on? I have a training schedule that I can't really follow because on "rest" days I'm either with another client or teaching a myriad of classes!

My other question is about my "long" run. It isn't very long yet, I'm sure, by some of your standards, but to me it's a huge achievement. I am currently running about 15.5km on my long days. I find that although I am not losing breath and my legs are still okay, I'm just really hungry and my feet hurt. I only eat a banana beforehand because that is always what I have eaten before a run (I run right in the morning) so I am not sure how to eat more in the time period.

I actually have so many more questions but think I'll leave it at this for now. Any insight from new runners or veteran runners would be very, very appreciated.

Thank you.
laur15

Re: Upping my distance and having some questions

Postby morg » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:21 pm

I trained for my first ever race[half marathon] running just once a week, and although I always get some stick for saying this :( ive found that for me I get better results in races if I have many more rest days than running days.
Im presently getting ready for a marathon, and am doing one long run per week, and running just one other day per week alternating a hill run, and a timed 5 mile run.
This is simular to how I trained for last years marathon, and got my best ever time.

Id say dont worry about running every day, If you can only get out to run a few times a week, you should still get the fitness level you require, and if its same as with me[and friends of mine who do the same]? you will feel much more energetic, enjoy your runs more, and get better times in races than when running more days than resting
LOVE PUNK ROCK-hate racism
hate homophobia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFOBdoWL ... PL&index=2
morg

Postby hakko » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:06 pm

As a personal trainer, I'm quite sure that you've a better knowledge of training in general than me who's just a simple runner. Anyway, I hear a slightly anxious tone in what you're asking and I just wanted to say that your habits sound pretty sane to me. No alarm bells ringing.

What I've read is to be sure to avoid a quick increase of training volume - not more than 10% increase every six week or so, roughly. Obviously a very personal issue aswell. Have you been doing this intense training for a while, and now started taking a day off, it shouldn't be a problem, right? Do you see progress in your quick runs or do you feel stalled? That would probably indicate that your body doesn't have time to recover.

I'd also like to add that a 1/2 marathon isn't that hard, after all, if you're only in it to finish running gracefully. Untrained people run marathons and end up in pains, but they finish. For a person like you, I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe it's just me, but I think of a half marathon as a quite relaxed thing. If you do a 15.5 km, I'd bet you can do a 21 km any day.

For your long run, I'd recommend (only based on personal experience) to eat carbs before you go to sleep, wake up, have your banana, do your running, and be sure to bring a water belt, or even better an energy drink. You can't store an endless amount of fuel (glycogen?) in your muscles and a half marathon is normally beyond what fits, so be sure to fill up as much as possible before running and then re-fuel while running. Otherwise, you'll start taking energy from fat instead and that's not as efficient.

All in all, I think you'll do fine. Good luck!
hakko

Postby BopCatan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:27 pm

[quote="hakko"]

not more than 10% increase every six week or so

I agree that slight increases are safest but 10% over six weeks is extremely conservative. A safe formula I have seen work for me and other runners is to do 10% increases every week. Every third week take a 5% decrease.

Once you hit 40 or 50 miles for the first time (or in recent years) apply 10% increases every couple weeks. Be very conscious of how your body feels when increasing mileage. Don't ignore signs of overuse.

Also, and very importantly, do not increase intensity and distance at the same time. This is a formula for injury. Apply increases to intensity gradually on top of a mileage base that is consistent.
BopCatan

Postby skoptic » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:42 pm

[quote="BopCatan"]

I agree that slight increases are safest but 10% over six weeks is extremely conservative. A safe formula I have seen work for me and other runners is to do 10% increases every week. Every third week take a 5% decrease.

Once you hit 40 or 50 miles for the first time (or in recent years) apply 10% increases every couple weeks. Be very conscious of how your body feels when increasing mileage. Don't ignore signs of overuse.

Also, and very importantly, do not increase intensity and distance at the same time. This is a formula for injury. Apply increases to intensity gradually on top of a mileage base that is consistent.

+1
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Return to Vegan Runners