When running for more than 3 hours what do you eat and when?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

When running for more than 3 hours what do you eat and when?

Postby 4571 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:10 am

Hi guys

Thanks heaps for all your advice about beating nausea, definately going to look at electrolyte balance and eating during longer runs.

QUESTION:

What do you normally eat during long runs, and when?

Daniella

Re: When running for more than 3 hours what do you eat and w

Postby notmilk » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:07 pm

i go for Trek bars or Nakd (coco loco are great)
If i know I'm going to be running for longer than 1:45 i eat every half hour from the start.
I try to run by the leisure centre for their water fountain to save having to carry water - otherwise have a rucksack with front pockets for my water bottle.
I have tried running with a waist pack but can't get used to it bouncing around...
Whether you think you can or you think you can't - you're right.
notmilk

Postby Big Foot Marty » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:54 pm

I carry Electrolyte capsules ( succeed) for staying alive. 8)

I also carry a combination of Gels, and dried fruits. {dates rolled in cocunut are great}

If I can stash sometime or return to my car at midway I might put out Peanut butter crckers or apple with PB...
Former football player now a runner and new Vegan. Run several marathons and other races now trying to learn how to eat and thrive on Vegan diet. And run successfully for Fun... Blogs - http://veggierunnereating.blogspot.com/
Big Foot Marty

Postby MikayP » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:11 am

well if im carrying my camelpack, which i do most of the time, i carry 2 bananas and have em every :45 - 1:00. if i dont have that i sometimes have a gel flask with blended soaked dates. gu packs work well too
Triathlon Coaching - http://www.PortmanCoaching.com

Facebook Page- http://www.facebook.com/PortmanCoaching

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/MikePortman

Strava - http://app.strava.com/athletes/mike_portman
MikayP

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:26 pm

over 3hrs for me usually means offroad and no water sources so I will almost always have a bladder with 2-3 L of sports drink (carb and electrolytes) which will be my main calorie source. I usually have a gel at around 90 mins and then one about every 30 mins from then on. If its a really long run I may take something a bit more solid. Easy to digest is key for me. If it is a hard/intense run I can struggle to get anything down other than the sports drink later in the run.

How has it been going for you? Any improvement in your nausea?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Lovely.Rita » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:31 pm

Sorry to go a little off-topic, but when you run with a camelpack, how do you prevent chafing? I ran 22 miles on trails with a camelpack a few weeks ago and practically skinned my back and collar bones. I barely noticed during the run, but suffered for days afterwards. worse than any rugburn I've had :mrgreen:

about the eating question: I find the responses interesting - I have a hard time on long runs if I eat anything solid less than two hours before the run, so I never tried eating anything during the run, assuming it wouldn't go over well :P I've heard about runners eating dates on long runs though.
Lovely.Rita

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:42 pm

[quote="Lovely.Rita"]Sorry to go a little off-topic, but when you run with a camelpack, how do you prevent chafing? ....

hmmm, I've run with it heaps and I've never had any chafing. I've probably almost always run with it during winter so had a polyprop or something similar on underneath, so maybe that is why. I also keep it quite snug as it drives me insane if it bounces around.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby 4571 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:34 am

Thanks so much for all your responses! Awesome help although we don;t have a lot of the products you have over here and the vegan options are limited (which is a blessing in disguise - I'm gonna try some of the homemade gel recipes in thrive if I can track down the ingredients).

In terms of the nausea, I've been experimenting with ground date/almond paste and replace (an electrolyte replacer) and heaps more water. Feeling betterd during the run and I'm sure it's good for me but during the run was never the problem.

I am STILL getting really quite nauseous afterwards - lactic acid buildup maybe? My partner said I should try and vomit after a run but that seems a bit extreme....

Postby ha » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:50 am

*Id not eat any nuts before, during or after a run as they take a lot of time to digest.

*Ive done a few 3 hours runs this year and 2 marathons and just had 2-4 dates per hour plus water.

*I eat a high carb diet daily and never run out of glycogen as a result.

*Blended dates are the best and cheapest gels.

*Try just having fruit before and during your run and then a bit of fruit after and then heavier carb foods like rice/barley etc and see how you feel.

*Make sure you are drinking enough water the days before your long runs. Drink enough so our urine is clear and frequent. 10 times a day and a few times a night is what gives me hydration to go any distance on the bike, regardless how hot it is.
raw vegan banana case that has cycled over 190 000km cycled as a vegan.

y - youtube.com/durianriders
f - facebook.com/durianrider
t - twitter.com/durianryder
b - durianrider.org
w - 30bananasaday.com

Drink up, carb up, sleep up... cos everyday is the day to live it up!
ha

Postby chloe » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:44 pm

i carry a small amount of water with me, and keep about 4 dried apricots in my pocket. Thats all i need, but ive also usually had a really good rich breakfast -like pancakes with fruit and syrup!
chloe

Postby skoptic » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:59 pm

Not sure that throwing up after the run is good! I'm generally a little bit nauseous if I run for more than 4 hours... I just have a lie down :-) I'm not sure lactic would have that effect, but don't really know. Hope you sort it!

On the food tip - I eat stuff which is mentioned above ... generally take a small amount every 30 mins if I'm running for 6+ hours.
Last edited by skoptic on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Konstantin » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:00 pm

Gels
Thrive cake - blended cooked rice, soaked dates and sunflower seeds.
Good breakfast before
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby KjKranz » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:35 am

Longer than an hour or two and I may put some chia seeds in my bottle. Depending on if I expect to get hungry or not during the run I may pack a Larabar along.
KjKranz

Return to Vegan Runners