So nauseous after a long run - do you get this?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

So nauseous after a long run - do you get this?

Postby 4571 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:06 pm

Does anyone else experience this?

After a long run (30k+) I often feel very nauseous afterwards for the rest of the evening, even into the next day.

I am eating carbohydrates/protein and a little fat 1/2 hour before
I am drinking approx 750ml water during the run
I am eating carbs/protein/fat/sugar within an hour of returning home - usually much sooner.

I have read a bit on the internet saying it could be to do with electrolytes so next time I will try drinking some replace 1/2 hr prioir to and immediately following the run and see if that helps, but I'd be so grateful to anyone who had some advice or similar experience!!!

Dani

Re: So nauseous after a long run - do you get this?

Postby skoptic » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:24 pm

Don't usually feel nauseous - but can feel a bit faint .. my solution, eat more and have a little sleepy. Always works :-)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:43 am

I have pretty bad problems with it and it effects much of my longer racing. For me it usually comes down mostly to hydration and possibly electrolytes. 750ml for a 30km run sounds like very little, even in cool conditions. I would certainly have some nausea if I drank the little - but I am a very heavy sweater. Have you done the simple test of weighing yourself before and after the run? If you are down more than a couple of % that could be an issue. If you also subtract the weight of any liquid and food you had during the run you can see how much total fluid you are losing. You don't need to replace it all during the run, but it will give you an idea of what to aim for. I would guess, but could easily be wrong, that you need to drink more than double that amount. How much time and it what conditions are you running? Have you tried an electrolyte drink during the run? Are you not taking in any carbs during the run? That is a very long run w/o any calories.

Also, if you run later in the day, I guess you have tried varying what you eat throughout the day?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby runrevolt » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:50 am

What exactly do you eat before your run?

The only times I've been nauseous after a run is when I was severely dehydrated from not taking in fuel/fluids (maybe you aren't getting enough?) and when I exerted myself so hard without sufficient recovery foods afterwards (sounds like you take care of that though).

How long does it take you to do your run and what do you eat when you are finished?
http://www.runvegan.wordpress.com
runrevolt

Postby 4571 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:11 am

Hi guys, thanks for the replies

Yeah, I'm thinking I might need to eat something during the run as apparently this si what most people do - like dark chocolate, fruit, whatever????

I'm usually eating a few meals before running after lunch. So by the time I start I've had lots of water, a bowl of porrige with soy, almonds and berries, wholegrain toast, banana, penut butter, salad, vegesausage, and a serve of brown rice

Seems to me like plenty to fuel a run but I'm gonna try eating something at about the 2 hour point, and maybe taking some replace as well?

Postby fredrikw » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:17 am

Eating that close to training would make me nauseous, I eat 2-3 hours before training. Doesn't explain the nausea after though...

Training hard is taxing on your body, so some discomfort is to be expected (without it your body wouldn't adapt to a higher stress). By the description it sounds like dehydration or hyponatremia (lack of electrolytes, sodium to be more exact), although the latter tend to be quite self regulating at least the day after. Are you eating a low sodium diet? As an active healthy person there's really no need to cut salt from your diet, and for endurance training salt/electrolytes is very important.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby 4571 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:38 am

I have a little salt once a day during the week, and I think there would be enough in other parts of my diet

Wow! If you don't eat 2 -3 hours during training, if you doa long training that is ages without cals!

I think my plan is:

1. Try electrolyte mix 1/2 hr before and 1x during run, also work out how many mls I need and try and stagger water intake during long trainings

then

2. Try a small high protein/fat snack during run (e.g. carb gel, nuts)

I guess I'm just so surprised because I eat so much and drink so much water, and I thought a bit of ooky stomach would cure itself after a decent balanced meal, like it has in the past after half marathon runs, but yeah I'm thinking electrolytes/sodium or something as it just seems to carry on for so long - like the sunday night after a Saturday run I'ms till lowgrade nauseous.

RE your question runrevolt - I'vbe been experimenting with different post run meals but usually involving a banana/rice protein/white rice or rice noodles, some sugar and some fat.......

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:58 am

[quote="4571"]Hi guys, thanks for the replies

Yeah, I'm thinking I might need to eat something during the run as apparently this si what most people do - like dark chocolate, fruit, whatever????

I'm usually eating a few meals before running after lunch. So by the time I start I've had lots of water, a bowl of porrige with soy, almonds and berries, wholegrain toast, banana, penut butter, salad, vegesausage, and a serve of brown rice

Seems to me like plenty to fuel a run but I'm gonna try eating something at about the 2 hour point, and maybe taking some replace as well?

You might want to try something easier to digest than fruit if your stomach is already giving you issues. Trying some solid food is probably a good idea to see if it settles your stomach, but you may find it easier with purely liquid calories. Gels can be good, but some of them can also be hard to digest under effort. By "replace" do you mean a carb & electrolyte drink?

However much you eat prior to running, you've only got so much glycogen that is easily available when you are running, so if you start to eat (take in cals) at 90mins or so, that ensures it's easily/quickly available and will usually keep you feeling better.

Thats pretty rough that it's lasting well over 24 hours for you!! I've only had it that badly after very long events. Whats your effort level like for the runs?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby 4571 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:03 am

Hi there, it's not like I'm busting my guts on long runs or anything - 34 - 36k in 3.5 - 4 hours, pretty cruisy!!!

I thought fruit WAS easy to digest :) Yeah replace is electrolytes, like gatorade etc but without the additives I think

I might make a post to see what other vegans eat at round 90min mark :)

Postby Gelert » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:53 am

[quote="4571"]Hi there, it's not like I'm busting my guts on long runs or anything - 34 - 36k in 3.5 - 4 hours, pretty cruisy!!!

I thought fruit WAS easy to digest :) Yeah replace is electrolytes, like gatorade etc but without the additives I think

I might make a post to see what other vegans eat at round 90min mark :)

750 mL total fluid intake is definitely not enough for 3-4h's long run. You are likely to be losing up to a litre in an hour under those circumstances.

I would be concerned by electrolytes, but that is secondary given the above. Fredrikw is right to mention dilutional hyponatraemia as a serious problem that people may not appreciate, but this concern would be primary if your fluid intake was high but low in salts. In this instance, both fluids and electrolytes will be low. It is more likely that you are dehydrated, perhaps in combination with some degree of heat exhaustion.

As a coarse rule of thumb, you need at least two litres fluid intake per day if you're just sitting in an office pushing keys. You then need to add to this in proportion to the exercise you are doing and the weather conditions.

This can be from fancy electrolyte solutions, but there this is not an absolute requirement. You can make your own (google this, but 4 teaspoons sugar with 1/2 teaspoon salt per litre of clean water is a reasonable recipe). For shorter (<1h) or less frequent runs, I am assured there is no problem with just using water, particularly if you are also snacking on solid food.

By the time you are experiencing nausea you are in a hypovolaemic state. This means that there isn't enough circulating fluid going around your body and it is starting to go into shock. This is often accompanied by dizziness (and headaches) which is another sign of the same - from going to a reclined to a standing position, your blood pressure will drop and your pulse will increase. This means your body has to work very hard. This is too late. This makes you predisposed to other injuries and illness (Last week I was part of a med cover at a football tournament - we saw several cases of mild-ish concussion in dehydrated players after just heading the ball. Teams from warmer climates were not on top of their fluid intakes given the cool weather here. Fail.)

I'm afraid this is going to be another Gelert post which boils down to looking at excreta. What you need to be doing is ensuring sufficient fluid (and electrolyte) intake so that you are urinating with regular frequency, in substantial quantity of clear, non-malodorous urine. This means that all is well. If the frequency, volume, odour or taste of your urine deviates from this, you are suboptimally hydrated.
Gelert

Postby 4571 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:03 am

I had a look at this online (although I actually do all of this) from what I've read it probably isn't lactic acid, maybe I'm just unfit!!!!

You ahve all been awesome

How To Prevent Nausea After A Long Run
By: Frances Smith

Break Studios Contributing Writer

With the right diet and preparation, it's possible to learn how to prevent nausea after a long run. Sports can help keep you healthy, but too much of a good thing, like a long run, can be stressful on the body. Making the right diet and exercise choices is important for staying healthy during and after strenuous exercise.

To prevent nausea after a long run, you will need:

•proper diet
•water
•snack during run
1.Eat right at all times. Staying healthy and having optimal performance in sports are achieved by following a healthy diet all the time. The food eaten two or three days before a run is what fuels the body, not the food eaten immediately before a run.
2.Drink plenty of water every day. It's important to stay hydrated at all times. With meals, drink two to three, eight oz. glasses of water. Drink plenty of additional water throughout the day to replace fluids lost during exercise.
3.Know your own body. Each person reacts differently when they can eat and/or drink before a run. Use a system that works for you. Eat high-carbohydrate foods before a long run at some point. The exact timing of when to eat will depend on your tolerance for food, but somewhere around three to four hours before a run is optimal for many people.
4.Drink water and eat a snack during the long run. To prevent nausea after a long run, drink plenty of water and eat a light snack during the run. Examples of good choices are crackers, fruit, and low-fat energy bars. The most important thing is to drink water.
5.Drink fluid-replacement drinks if the run is long and warrants these drinks. For runs less than an hour, these drinks are not necessary. But they can be very helpful for preventing nausea for longer runs.

Return to Vegan Runners