Running strides

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Running strides

Postby crapiecorn » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:31 pm

[quote="xrodolfox"]

You'd think.

I run barefoot at least 1/3rd of my runs, and otherwise run all almost all my runs on vibram's fivefingers. Heck, I mostly walk on fivefingers too.

I even run on concrete or hard surfaces to try to get me to force a midfoot/forefoot run, but It's not happening. I'm still a heel striker. I think it's got more to do with my body position than anything else, but that's not changing and I don't know how to do that.

Do you heel strike when you put your normal shoes back on or just all the time ?
crapiecorn

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:44 pm

<== 24/7 heelstrike. I think I even heel strike in my dreams.

Also, this is something I think I *learned*. I never ever went barefoot on land until I was 11years old when walking in socks in my Korean friend's house, and that was only to walk to the Nintendo. I never ever walked or ran barefoot until 1year ago, 32 years into my life. The biggest amount of time I ever spent barefoot was while swimming.

Note: I used to have flat feet before I started running in Oct2008. I had to wear lots of support. As I started changing my stride, I found that my feet compensated, and now I no longer need support. ???? it's weird, but true. I still have "flat feet" when I'm standing still, but when I stride on sand, my foot print no longer looks flat, and my arch seems to have gotten stronger.

My stride has change too. I used to REALLY heel strike. Like all my mass would just bunch up in my knees and I couldn't run more than 1mile without excruciating knee pain. Now I still heel strike, but not like I used to. I just moved my heel strike from striking like I was running while doing a karate broad breaks with my heel on every stride, to running like a person running with a bad heel strike.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby chriss » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:30 am

Right then I have been giving this knee lifting business a go last runs out & as pointed out already it seem to make me run faster automatically. So this is a good thing, but I can't keep pace & end up going back to my sloppy old ways for a rest. I find this stride ideal for the final burst, but not the general plodding bit.

Any thoughts? Do I just keep on with it & learn to pace better with this style or am I missing a trick?
Just smile x
chriss

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:47 am

tell me when you find out. I've been trying something similar, with similar results.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Vegan Runners