what did you run today?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: what did you run today?

Postby E-P » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:00 am

[quote="runrevolt"]On a workout high right now.

5 mile warmup
1 mile (4:59) w/ 3 min recovery jog
2 x 800 (2:29, 2:28) w/ 2 min recovery jog
4 x 400 (:73, :73, :72, :71) with 90s recovery jog
5 mile cool down.

It feels good to be back at that level again. Still moving forward, still have a lot of work to do.

I didn't really read anywhere in details what happened to you but some messages hinted that you where injured. Good to hear that you are back in tracks and feeling good! All the best for your training.
E-P

Postby runrevolt » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:42 am

Yeah, long story on the diagnosis, but I'm building the strength in my "injured" leg and moving forward. Thanks...I'm glad to be back training again as well!!!
http://www.runvegan.wordpress.com
runrevolt

Postby chloe » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:28 pm

yeah Runrevolt im pleased you seem to be surging back to fitness!!!!
First day of Berlin marathon training today,10ks round the marshes,chilled lovely little run in the sun! :)
chloe

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:36 am

I finally did sets on a track today!

It wasn't much, but it was something.

4 X 800 on 3:00

I did the first two barefoot, which was a mistake as it was hot an it blistered up my feet. Oh well. Live and learn.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby E-P » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:47 pm

Huuuuuu, just had my first 10K, feeling fantastic although during the run I didn't.

I had decided already earlier that this will be the day that I hit my first 10 km run. Left to the run in good spirits, had porridge, banana and glass of soya milk for a breakfast 2 hours before I left. Also, was sipping water all the time until 30 min. before I left for the run. I was not probably quite well enough hydrated though as the temperatures where pretty high;

Temperature: 32.0 C
Feels like: 37.3 C
Dew point: 22.0 C
Relative humidity: 56%

The weather info shown by my add-on weather station.

I made a plan to have a small sip of water every 250 m. which worked fine, consumed some 600 ml of water during the run. First 5K was easy although the heat was roasting (as it was all the way). Between 6-8.5 km felt really bad and really have to fight to keep moving the same average pace. The last 1.5 km I was so exhausted that I was not feeling anything any more, just kept going. Finished with time 67:40 (10 min. over my goal in the race in September).

The distance wasn't really bad as I have been slowly building up and done lots of different exercise, I think the heat was the killer and at the end I was mildly starting to hit the wall/run out of energy. Felt a little bit sick, dizzy and felt like I couldn't see well when I got to the "goal". Also the last 2 km I start shivering and got cold waves through my body every now and then which I assume was my bodies respond for the heating and trying to cool down or something (No idea really, you tell me if you know). My legs thought didn't/don't feel that bad at all.

Lesson learned:
+ I can run 10K relatively comfortable and definitely faster when better prepared and another time of day (or another climate).
+ My legs feel pretty strong but I have to increase my oxygen up take --> Less muscle building now and more cardiovascular exercise
- Water didn't feel like adequate for hydration, definitely back to the agua de jamaica+salt for runs
- Never gonna run any more between the 10 am and 5 pm (as recommended for tropical climates by Runner's world)
- Have to start taking money with me for more drinks and taxi/bus for an emergency (as I have almost 2 km walk to the running place)

Conclusion: I was a little stupid but lessons learned. Now after having my recovery drink (soya milk, 2 bananas, 26g soya protein and ice) and cooling myself down front of the fan I feel again good although tired.

Good runs for every body!

ps. I have lately really understood the significance of having COLD drinks after exercise in climate like this. The effect is astonishing.
E-P

Postby TMH » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:36 pm

Hope you're well, E-P! Can relate to some of what you've experienced, especially the hydration and heat. Although, with the pre-race eating... I haven't explored that in depth given that I don't like to eat anything beforehand (especially if planning a morning race/run). That is probably one of my main downfalls: nutrition and hydration... I really suck at it!
TMH

Postby vegan_bohemian » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:03 pm

i jogged 5 miles! my personal record. the inside of my thigh was bleeding because my shorts rubbed me raw...but it was so worth it!
vegan_bohemian

Postby chloe » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:40 pm

oh babes that sounds awful, get yourself some lycra!!!theres a reason we all go out looking so geeky in our technical running gear! :)
chloe

Postby cyclebot » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:33 pm

12k, 1hr21mins LSD
no pain, that's how I like it!
average heartrate: 135
cyclebot

Postby E-P » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:26 pm

Had a 8 km run, time 46:07. Extremely happy with this. Felt great. At the end started dehydrating (see few posts above, I never learn). Anyway, feeling good expect from my nipples. What is that the runners put on their nipples to reduce the pain of the rubbing shirt? I read long time ago some where but can't remember any more.
E-P

Postby crapiecorn » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:26 pm

[quote="E-P"]What is that the runners put on their nipples to reduce the pain of the rubbing shirt? I read long time ago some where but can't remember any more.

For me, a little piece of tape works.
crapiecorn

Postby E-P » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:10 pm

[quote="crapiecorn"][quote="E-P"]What is that the runners put on their nipples to reduce the pain of the rubbing shirt? I read long time ago some where but can't remember any more.

Yes, I was considering that option. I just thought it may be A LITTLE painful to take of but I guess not if the piece of tape is just small enough. I remember reading though that runners used wax or vaselin or something like that as well.
E-P

Postby crapiecorn » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:10 am

[quote="E-P"]
Yes, I was considering that option. I just thought it may be A LITTLE painful to take of but I guess not if the piece of tape is just small enough. I remember reading though that runners used wax or vaselin or something like that as well.

Because of the sweat, removing the tape is pretty painless. I had some mixed experiences with vaseline. It works ok for feet, armpits,.. but in my experience not for nipples.
crapiecorn

Postby E-P » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:52 pm

Yesterday 10 km run for 65:06. Felt really good, could had gone way faster. I working hard with the power the last 6 months and now discovering how fast I actually can go.

crapiecorn - Cheers for the advice.
E-P

Postby cyclebot » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:29 am

[quote="E-P"][quote="crapiecorn"][quote="E-P"]What is that the runners put on their nipples to reduce the pain of the rubbing shirt? I read long time ago some where but can't remember any more.

http://www.nipguards.com/

yesterday I ran 15k in 1hr42mins
av HR: 135
very happy with that
cyclebot

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Runners