Canadian Death Race soloist

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Canadian Death Race soloist

Postby marathonmike » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:00 pm

Hey everyone. I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm registered to do the North Face Canadian Death Race again this year as a soloist. For those of you unfamiliar with the race, it is a 125 km. race up and over the summits of 3 mountains around the town of Grande Cache, Alberta. There is 17,000 feet of elevation gain over the course. The race has to be completed in 24 hours. There are 5 legs to the race, each having a cut off time that you must meet to continue, otherwise you will be disqualified. Over 1,000 people compete on this course on August long weekend. Most people do the race as part of a 2-5 person relay team. There are about 250 of us crazy people who attempt to do the whole thing solo. This is the one race I do every year. It is much too demanding on my body to even try and concentrate on other races. Last year, there were 232 people who were at the start line to do the race solo. Only 75 finished. Most didn't even get through half of the course. I came in 38th place at 22 hours 0 minutes 57 seconds. I'm sure most of you are familiar with the ultramarathoner Dean Karnazes. He came in 2nd place overall. The race this year will probably draw some bigger names in the ultramarathoning sport especially since it is the 10th year anniversary of the race, as well as holding the title of "Canada's toughest race." I hope to crack the top 25 this year.

A little bit about myself. I am originally from Winnipeg, Manitoba. I've lived in Alberta for 3 years now. I am fortunate that I live 2 hours north of the town of Grande Cache so I spend alot of my days off training on the course. I've been a vegan for 17 years now. I was very competitive in shorter races (5 km, 10 km, half marathon, full marathon) back around 2003-2005. I prefer ultramarathons on trail and mountainous terrain.

www.canadiandeathrace.com
marathonmike

Re: Canadian Death Race soloist

Postby runner » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:00 pm

what is your target?
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby marathonmike » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:52 pm

Good question. I'd like to see if I can shed off another 2 hours. So perhaps break 20 hours. I had a very strong first half of the race last year but finished less than par. I'll be working on mileage this summer as well as fueling my body better and this way I won't run out of energy like how I did last year. Easier said than done though. Most soloists are crawling/walking through the finish line as it is.
marathonmike

Postby TMH » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:09 am

Respect, marathonmike, to you and other ultra-runners.

Look forward to hearing more about your journey...
TMH

Postby Ombah » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:48 am

Wow. That's a really hardcore-race. Good luck to you!
Ombah

Postby divergirl » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:00 pm

OMG!!!!! that is amazing.....ups to you for even entering - I would be scared out of my running shorts to even enter something like that!!!! You sound like you've got a great plan and how awesome to be able to train on the course. I love that you've been vegan for so long :) Nice!

Have fun and keep us updated on how your training is going...
Diving into the blue again......

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Winners do things that losers just won't.
divergirl

Postby Joss » Wed May 26, 2010 2:38 pm

WOW - that is truly an awesome feat :shock:

Good luck from every fibre of my being!! Think you're amazing even before you start :D
Joss

Return to Vegan Runners