Runner's Legs

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Runner's Legs

Postby scenthound » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:05 pm

Legs still a bit sore from the long (for me) run, about 11 miles, two days ago. Omitting the complicating factor of doing squats after the shorter five miles on Saturday, the question is: should I run tonight? I haven't strained anything. Just still a bit stiff or sore. I don't really want to take too many rest days between runs. Besides, the dog gets obnoxious if she isn't exercised every day.

Back when I did bike tours I would usually get sore by the third day out, so much so that I'd back off a bit, but kept going and worked through it. The most I would do this afternoon would be five miles.

If I rest until the soreness is completely gone do I set myself back? I know resting the muscles for several days after workouts is advised for best progress but running? Isn't one day off enough? My distance is limited only by joints and muscles, not by my wind.
RUN for your life
scenthound

Postby Mary » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:49 pm

[quote]Omitting the complicating factor of doing squats after the shorter five miles on Saturday, the question is: should I run tonight?

I wouldn't. But that is me. I wouldn't omit the complicating factor of squats! They can kill!

If you can handle it though, do it. I would do a lot of yoga and stretching though. (Which is what I did when my legs hurt so much I couldn't go to karate a couple of weeks ago.)
Mary

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:08 am

Stretching seems to work to help keep me going...despite other exhaustion. But running is a pretty harsh activity, so rest might be a good idea. Cycling is draining, but very low impact.
[quote="fredrikw"]yeah yeah, you just want to hear me saying you were right, right?

Image "Live life like you're gonna die...because you are." - William Shatner, You'll Have Time/ Has Been
Dave Noisy

short distance

Postby thom » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:56 am

Try running a short distance. Don't push yourself too much by running very long distances. But if you're really sore don't run through the pain or it will last for days. Try to build up instead of running 'sudden' far distances. So, long run one day, then short, rest, long, short, rest, that could be a running scheme. Streching helps but only after running, not during the run...as far as i know it's bad for your muscles, hot showers...keep your legs warm. Stuff like that makes it all less painfull the next day.
thom

Postby scenthound » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:47 pm

I did follow up with a short run the day after the 11 miler. Probably only a couple of miles. It was good to do that much. Had to take the next evening off due to not wanting to run in the rain. Then it warmed up a lot and demotivated me. More short ones.

So Saturday came and I did a good six miles. Then on Sunday I decided to compromise. We went around eight. I needed to do a lot of laundry and shopping so I didn't risk wasting myself with a 12 mile run.

My legs, hips, knees and ankles feel great.
RUN for your life
scenthound

Return to Vegan Runners