Is this impossible? I need your help!

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Is this impossible? I need your help!

Postby mangomagic » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:58 am

Ok first of all please don't laugh about how pathetic this is for all of you serious runners because I know I'm super unfit.

I set myself a goal to run the mother's day run, it's 8km or 4km and I really want to aim for the 8km. The problem is in between now and then I got quite sick. I now know what the issue is: coeliac disease and have started eating gluten free and wonder if I can still make it.

I just tried to go for a run, and I could only jog for 3 minutes. I could jog longer if I alternate between jogging and walking but even then it's only about 10 minutes.

So can I do it? The run is in 121 days and I'm prepared to try to jog every day. If so, how do I build up my endurance?

The other problem I have is the wind in my ears, for some reason when I jog the wind gets in my ears and causing this painful pressure, almost like when a plane is landing. I've tried earphones and cotton balls in my ears but neither seems to help. Has anyone ever had this problem or know how I fix it.

On top of coeliac disease I also have other digestive issues like acid reflux, and despite waiting a few hours after dinner I still end up getting reflux when I run, should I wait 3 hours after eating instead of 2?

I would appreciate any advice you give.
mangomagic

Postby runner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:36 pm

loads of questions:

Can you make it. It's posible, but can be hard, depends on your progress.

best would be to run with a beginners group.

interval run-walk / long runns / core strength training / stretching.

I would not recomend to run every day. As your body needs to rest to get stronger

with the food, it's pretty personal, how fast your digestion works. Further it depends on type of food. what you can do is eat something small like a banana the last 2 hours and make sure you drink enough. it's a bit experimenting
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby Konstantin » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:58 pm

I'm not sure how coeliac disease affects things, but just eat plenty of carbs - pasta, rice, buckwheat, quinoa, etc. Try to run a litle further than you diud last time, and take days off. Don't be afraid to walk a bit to extend your total distance, and concentrate on distance, not speed.

Maybe you could benefit from some strengthening exercises - try googling Hindu Squat, squat, lunges. Verticle and standing long jumps might be good too.

Not sure about the ears, not a problem I have, but maybe you could block them with cotton wool, or ask at the chemists for ear plugs.

Aim for an interim target, like running 3k solid. I don't think it's twice as hard to run 8k as it is to run 4k, so if you can run 3k you've made a good start.

Let us know how you get on.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:04 pm

[quote="Konstantin"]I'm not sure how coeliac disease affects things, but just eat plenty of carbs - pasta, rice, buckwheat, quinoa, etc. Try to run a litle further than you diud last time, and take days off. Don't be afraid to walk a bit to extend your total distance, and concentrate on distance, not speed.
You mean gluten free pasta :)

I have a few friends who are celiac.

They have gotten strong after totally avoiding gluten. It can be done!

They eat LOTS of rice, and lots of peas. If you eat enough calories, your body will compensate. If are celiac, then the period before you found out was one of total malnutrition. Getting foods dense in nutrition, and taking it easy to start will ensure you finish strong. Eat lots of carbs (not gluten, clearly), especially rice and corn, and you will do just fine.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby VeganGraham » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:28 pm

You could try wearing a buff over your ears, either as a headband or a bandana, depending on whether you want to look like a hippy or a pirate, like this...

It should keep the cold and wind out without affecting your hearing too much.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby mangomagic » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:06 am

Thanks everyone!

I found this couch to 5k plan online and started it today.

Big good wolf, I will give it a go. Although still haven't figured out if I am a pirate of a hippy.

xrodolfox, yes I have started eating taking multivitamins to get my levels back up.

Konstantin, will go google those now.

runner, today I waited 4 hours and was still burping. I can't seem to win with it, but maybe with my pratice it will settle done. I won't run every day though.
mangomagic

Postby divergirl » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:07 am

I can vouch for the couch to 5k programs. I managed to find one by Robert Ullrey's and he has podcasts you can download with music and him talking to prompt you when to start running and then stop and start walking, repeat etc etc. It's really good and builds you up week by week. Not too difficult. Easy to run to the music, he's specifically made it a certain beats per minute to make it easy to keep the pace.

Here's a link:

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/

Good luck with your other health issues. I have no idea about the reflux issue but can imagine that would be frustrating. I kinda have that when I do RPM and need to watch what I have before it.

Good luck also with the coeliacs issue. Not fun at first but I understand if you stick with the right food you feel amazing very quickly.

Let us know how you go!
Diving into the blue again......

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Winners do things that losers just won't.
divergirl

Postby mangomagic » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:49 am

Thanks diver girl, this is awesome. I only tried one run, and it was fine except I kept having to look at my watch every few seconds to check and then would forget at what time I started so this will be really good for ensuring that I stick to the times.
mangomagic

Postby laur15 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:15 pm

mango- I also have celiac so if you have any questions or are getting stuck, let me know! Once you know WHAT you can eat it gets pretty easy.
laur15

Return to Vegan Runners