Very New to Veganism

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Very New to Veganism

Postby aflicki » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:17 am

Hello!

I just started on a vegan diet (Monday) from a vegetarian one. I decided that I'm going to give it 3 months to see how it goes. I'm hoping that I'll be able to stick with it after the 3 months. I've been thinking about it for awhile and it feels like the right thing to do for me in regards to animals and their welfare.

And, I'm currently training for the Boston Marathon and run pretty high mileage. I was taking whey protein as a supplement and changed to soy and pea (yuck)!

I'm curious what supplements/vitamins you take and have you tried pea protein? What do you mix it with because it tasted horrid with water!

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from other vegan runners! :D
aflicki

Postby runrevolt » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:57 am

aflicki,

This is a great forum for help....good for you.

what kind of mileage were you hitting and what do you plan on hitting? I think I run pretty high mileage to, and to be honest, I don't take any supplements. I don't know of many people that do.

Protein is certainly an important component of an athlete's diet, but with enough variety and knowledge of the foods you are eating, you won't even need to worry about it. I never do. I would suggest keeping an eye on things like your iron, b12, calcium, etc. But again, with a diet consisting of a variety of vegetables, legumes, grains, etc., you won't have a problem.

With all that said, Vega foods makes a supplement mix for vegan athletes.

Anyways, good luck!
http://www.runvegan.wordpress.com
runrevolt

Postby runner » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:44 am

there are soy proteïne that taste like vanilla or chocolate.

don't use proteine powders myself at the moment.
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby erske » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:30 pm

Welcome! :D great move on going vegan!

I don't take any supplements, other than a multivitamin for B12.

I don't really think you need to worry about protein, just make sure you get enough over all calories in, so that you don't exchange cheese for lettuce. If I'm not eating dinner/lunch soon after training (which I most often do) I sometimes drink Chocolate/sweetened soymilk for post workout, gives you good fast carbohydrates for restoring muscle glycogen and some protein.
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Postby E-P » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:21 pm

Hey and welcome on board (even though I am pretty new here as well),

I just take one multivitamin and a half a calcium tablet (300 mg) a day and a protein drink. Apart from that I eat 2-3 fruits a day, 1-2 warm meals a day (with salad) and few snacks which include sandwiches and nuts usually.
E-P

Postby aflicki » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:14 am

Thanks for the welcome comments!

runrevolt: I run about 80 miles a week and plan on peaking around 95. I know that I don't get nearly as much protein as I should...about 70-80g/day. I take a lot of supplements at my doctor's recommendation since my B12 and D were really low, as well as a multi, calcium and avocado glucosamine. The Vega supplement is ridiculously expensive!

runner: I don't mind the unflavored soy, but I was hoping to not overdo the soy. It tastes good with some light chocolate soy milk.

erske: Thanks! I'm excited about going vegan and hoping that I'll be able to stick with it after my 3 month trial!

E-P: Thanks for the welcome! What kind of sandwiches do you eat? Always looking for recommendations!
aflicki

Postby JP » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:47 am

i am not a runner, but regarding the pea protein taste, couple comments.

pea proteins differ, some horrible, some just a bit bad :)

But you can probably find your own recipe of what makes it good, mine currently is pea protein with red grape juice and some soya milk, and ground flax seeds.
JP
Site Admin

Postby E-P » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:42 pm

[quote="aflicki"]

E-P: Thanks for the welcome! What kind of sandwiches do you eat? Always looking for recommendations!

Well well, I usually put lots of vegetables to my sandwiches and with that something with moisture in it that that it won't get too dry. Back in UK I loved to marinate and fry tofu then refridgerate it and use it in sandwiches together with some sauce and salad. Here in Mexico I haven't found yet anything but silken tofu from the shops though but at least here I can enjoy a lot of great chili sauces, guacamole and fresh avocado on my sandwiches! Also I recommend hummus, bean burgers and different salad dressings (anything basically goes for me!). I never liked peanut butter but I guess I should recommend it as well as it is good for you, right ?

Edit: Nice and easy guacamole receipt:
4 avocados (smash)
2-3 tomatoes (chop small)
1 small onion (chop small)
chile (as much you like or not at all, chop very fine)
1/2 lime (squeeze in)
a little salt

mix everything together in a few litres bowl in a form indicated in brackets. Enjoy.
E-P

Return to Vegan Runners