At what age will you peak?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

When will you peak?

Before age 35
17%
35-40
50%
40-45
17%
45-50
17%
50+
No votes

Total votes : 6

At what age will you peak?

Postby Konstantin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:29 pm

I'm 38 yo. If I was a footballer or sprinter, may career would be in decline, but last year I had my best year by far. This year I've already taken a lump off my 10k Pb. At this rate I expect to be running faster at 45 than I was at 35.

It's made me wonder when I will start decreasing speeds. At what age will turning up at the start line be a time when I think of reasonable targets rather than beating my Pb?

There's some great endurance athletes in their 40s and 50s. When do you think you'll peak?
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby runrevolt » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Can that question even be answered? I don't know. Haile is 36 / 37 and still going for world records. The women's olympic marathon winner is 39...or is she 40?
http://www.runvegan.wordpress.com
runrevolt

Postby skoptic » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:52 pm

I think it depends what you're doing. I'm into longer distances so I'm improving with age :-). If I had to go run 1500m I'd be well past my best!
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby MikayP » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:07 pm

[quote="runrevolt"]Can that question even be answered?

eh not truly. depends on a lot - when they started seriously training, nutrition, long term goals, genetics possibly, injuries, etc.

but i do agree when the distance increases the higher age has the advantage.

ironman world championships female winner this year (3rd time in a row)- currently 33

male winner (won last year also) - 38

id say that if the person plays it smart, without major injuries, that people peak between 30-40.

but there is research that a person has the potential to peak at the latest at the age of 65. readin up that a person can quickly, 5-10 years, peak to top performance. however, it takes decades for the peak to noticeably wear off.
Triathlon Coaching - http://www.PortmanCoaching.com

Facebook Page- http://www.facebook.com/PortmanCoaching

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/MikePortman

Strava - http://app.strava.com/athletes/mike_portman
MikayP

Postby Konstantin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:58 pm

[quote="MikayP"][quote="runrevolt"]Can that question even be answered?

That's why the question is about when you think you will peak. And its expectations (guesses).

I voted 40-45, I came to running late and was very non-serious for a while, started improving noticeably in my late 30s, and am doing 10k-HM, longer distances which favour the older runner more than shorter distances do.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:53 am

I think I'm past it and I have not yet hit your third category. :( It's hard to know tho with always changing focus. I don't imagine I'll ever crack my 5km or 1/2 marathon PB again, but for Ironman I think there is still time.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby gms » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:43 am

Peaking as far as speed that was probably 30 years ago. :oops: WOW that makes me sound really old!! But then again I hate speed workouts.
Running longer distances keeps getting better but the time to do it has gotten worse.
gms

Postby james79 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:37 am

I've just hit 30. I've been training pretty hard for 6 or 7 years and currently feel like my body has had enough although I hope this isn't the case. Most my my pb's were set age 27/28 apart from marathon and half marathon (age 29).

As MikayP says there as so many factors involved. If you look at the elite runners in a big marathon they can be from age 19 to 40. Many of the Africans train hard at young age so peak at a younger age than Westerners. Didn't Daniel Komen (3000m WR holder) retire when he was 22 or something? I think his training was insanely hard, sometimes 3 tough sessions a day though.

Of couse middle distance runners almost always peak at an earlier age than long distance runners. You tend to lose natural speed as you get older and gain strength.
Don't let your outrage for injustice end where your selfishness begins
james79

Re: At what age will you peak?

Postby City_of_F » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:20 pm

[quote="Konstantin"]I'm 38 yo. If I was a footballer or sprinter, may career would be in decline, but last year I had my best year by far. This year I've already taken a lump off my 10k Pb. At this rate I expect to be running faster at 45 than I was at 35.

It's made me wonder when I will start decreasing speeds. At what age will turning up at the start line be a time when I think of reasonable targets rather than beating my Pb?

There's some great endurance athletes in their 40s and 50s. When do you think you'll peak?

I know a guy in his 50s and he was training for the Boston Marathon. He is stating that age is starting to catch up to him a bit (he runs every day) . Still, his lifestyle includes a great deal of stress, so I'm not sure if that is dragging him down or not...
It`s a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don`t keep your feet, there`s no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Tolkein
City_of_F

Postby runner » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:39 am

will answer after passing my 55th birthday.

think if you train good from start peak should be 26-34 more or less.
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby happyfeet » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:51 pm

I plan on peaking at around 45-50 myself, but that's because I'm sort of a late bloomer. Fewer hard miles means I have some fresher legs to improve my times with.

It seems to be common to graduate into longer distances as age sets in. There's even 80 year old folks doing ultras now!
happyfeet

Return to Vegan Runners