Treadmill training

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Treadmill training

Postby Oak » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:46 pm

I thought i'd share some drills on the treadmill. To push up your aerobic ability!

12 Minute interval training
Run at one pace ex 10km/h for 2 minutes
Then run 4 Km faster for 2 minutes 14km/h
do this 3 times

when this becomes doable without gasping for breath put the speed up

Incremental Training, Laps
Start off with a fast jog
Say 10km/h run for 400m
Then 11km run for 400m
Increment this until you get 14km
then go back down 13,12,11,10

If you get used to this then start off with a faster speed.

Speed bursts

Pick a speed to run for 5k distance
for every kilometor put the speed up by 5km/hour and run it for 100m
So at 900m you increase the speed and then run to 1km then put the speed back down.
This should leave you with a sprint finish

Let me know if you try any of these and how they work out.

Also any one else got any treadmill drills,
Oak :D
Oak

Postby JO » Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:45 pm

I like the gradual ramp up to the intensity one never thought one could do ("boil the ... exerciser" pyramid), and then ramp back down equally. This works well for those of us fools who don't drink while running; kind of compensates for decrease in fluid volume and yet maintains heart rate, if you know what I mean.
Kinetic-corporeal joy is known to ALL creatures.
JO

Postby Fruitbat » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:32 pm

Brilliant thanx!!! I will def try then out. The first one is similar to what i call interval training where I start at 10.5k/h to warmup then do 3 minutes at 12.5 and 1% gradient, then back to 10.5k/h for 2 minutes and repeat it 4 times

The pyramid and icnrement training are good in spinning class- I am surprised I have never thought of doing it on a treadmill thanx!!!
Fruitbat

Treading

Postby Oak » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:29 am

:? Jo are you talking about the incremental training. Or do you mean increasing the incline of the treadmill. Sorry "I is a bit fick"

Good going Fruitbat - pretty fit! I would definetly like to see your 5k time. I'm sure you could do it now probs on a track. As long as you could pace yourself?

Oak :D
Oak

Postby JO » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:12 pm

Well, there's the sharp contrast training of alternating 85+% heart rate with 65-ish% heart rate that is uncomfortable but very beneficial (since it's uncomfortable I rarely do it, I admit), and then there's the gradual, sneaking up on unprecedented speeds. And by this I mean 1 mile at warm-up speed, next mile a little faster, next mile a little faster still, next mile even faster, then next mile fast (and the end of the by now hard effort is in sight!), then back off as gradually as you approached. That's all. A personal preference of mine.
Kinetic-corporeal joy is known to ALL creatures.
JO

Return to Vegan Runners