Running in the snow / ice

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby runrevolt » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:35 pm

[quote="fredrikw"][quote="runrevolt"]Gelert, that's funny because before you even directed that to me, I found that article while doing some research on cold weather running's effect on the lungs.

I don't know how much you found, but if you're still hesitating you could have a look at XC skiers, they do a lot of training and competitions in very cold weather. There are some solutions for heat exchangers, the ones I know of are Lungplus and Airtrim, but there might be others. Many people with cold induced asthma use these, as well as when training in really cold weathers. I train all through the winters and have so far managed without, but when I came off a nasty pneumonia a couple of years ago it helped me take walks without coughing just after I was well again.

Fredrick, I was actualy looking because a student at my work was wary about training in the winter, because she heard you'll cough up blood. I was giving her a second opinion that it's actualy perfectly fine to train in the winter. I've been physically active in every winter for the past 8 years or so. I've actually found my worst throat/lung problems come during intense humidity. The winter opens me up!
http://www.runvegan.wordpress.com
runrevolt

Postby virago » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:13 pm

^I find excessively cold air gives me a cough if I'm out exercising in it. I wear a scarf (thin material, not wooly) over my mouth and it helps warm the air a little and not put so much strain on my throat.
My vegan Etsy shop

[quote="Vegiburger"]The good news is no one has ever died of a really bad case of cellulite.

[quote="Clem Snide"]If you can't grow a real one, harnessing your inner beard is sufficient.
virago

Postby IronGirl » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:54 pm

This looks like fun: http://www.snowshoeracing.com/home.htm
Anyone ever tried it?

I'm upset because my trail race is cancelled tomorrow. Plans B (10 mile road run), C (Cyclocross) and D (reliability ride) are also cancelled. There is a fell race on but apparantly its hard to navigate even without the snow and with more snow forcast a 2 hour drive might be a bit daft?

Wonder if there are any snowshoes on ebay? :lol:
IronGirl

Postby Gelert » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:40 pm

[quote="IronGirl"]
Wonder if there are any snowshoes on ebay? :lol:

I got a pair for fifteen euros from decathalon in Paris a couple of years ago. Nothing gucci like you'd expect to pay £200+ for (eg. MSR) but they work OK for low-level tramping around.

You can also get aluminium crampons from Kahtoola (ca. £85) that can be strapped on to running shoes. I would advise against using them for any serious gradient or technical conditions as there are question marks over their durability and safety if used as a lightweight alternative to mountaineering crampons, but as an intermediate they would be OK.
Gelert

Previous

Return to Vegan Runners