Vegan running shoes

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Vegan running shoes

Postby Noel » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:38 pm

My partner wants me to start running with her. Does anyone know of any good vegan running shoes?
Noel

Vegan Running Shoes

Postby duathlondave » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:53 pm

I think you'll find new Balance shoes are vegan. And UK made, so not made in a sweatshop!
I hope this info is still correct...I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong! Dave/...
duathlondave

Postby runner » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:03 pm

there are new balance made in china. saw them in a store two weeks ago.

on the other hand there are nike products made in portugal..

guess there are no perfect shoe brands
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:35 pm

[quote="runner"]guess there are no perfect shoe brands

True true.

I tend to look for shoes that are UNION made, regardless of country of origin. However, there is no database for that that I know of, let alone for running shoes.

I just avoid Nike, and do my best to avoid products made in countries that are anti-union, like China.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby City_of_F » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:40 am

I ended up buying a pair of Nikes. All man-made materials, but yeah...

I had a friend who bought a pair of no-sweat-shop shoes and they disintigrated in about two weeks. I really wish there was a reputable place to get cruelty-free (for all involved) shoes.
It`s a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don`t keep your feet, there`s no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Tolkein
City_of_F

Postby JS » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:21 am

I always buy new balance - they do make shoes in China but they produce a lot in the UK too and other places. I thought they had factoires in US too? I asked about which ones are vegan as I was looking for a new pair recently they used to have a little symbol on the website saying which were vegan. Reply i got from them:

"All of the shoes on our website that contain synthetic/mesh or synthetic materials will be what's considered a Vegan shoe. However, please note that we do use different types of glues depending on what is available. Also be aware that some of our glues will contain animal products as many glues do. Even though these shoes contain all synthetic leather does not mean they will be completely Vegan. We do not mix real and synthetic leathers on any shoe. It is either leather or synthetic period. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me personally. I am here to help."

My pair although not cheap £70 have lasted me quite a while and I love the fact they do half sizes and dfferent width fittings. The two pairs I have bought arfe like slippers on my feet :)

Anyway you have a pair of Nike now so you're all soretd :)
JS

Return to Vegan Runners