Born to run

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Born to run

Postby andyO » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:41 pm

Anyone read this book.

I just finished reading it and can heartily recommend it. In some parts the drama is spooned on a little thick, but it is a very uplifting and motivating book. In parts controversial perhaps but it's all quite well thought out and eye opening. One of the main 'heroes' is vegan too.
andyO

Postby runrevolt » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:53 pm

I did read it and really enjoyed it. It's quite convincing in its barefoot theories, though a little removed from most people's realities.

But yeah, I was really pleased to learn so much more about Jurek. I didn't even know he was in the book when I picked it up!
http://www.runvegan.wordpress.com
runrevolt

Postby MikayP » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:53 am

ah jurek is in the book too? thats awesome!

i want to read it but theres like 50 holds on it in my library and i dont wanna buy it...broke
MikayP

Postby andyO » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:48 pm

They are quite convincing theories on the barefoot front. I'm already thinking when my work shoes wear out to get some minimal ones. :)

I guess my fell shoes are pretty darn minimal already...

Think the paperback is out soon Mikay so maybe the library will get a few more copies in.
andyO

Postby runrevolt » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:56 am

At the risk of hijacking this thread and turning it into a barefoot argument...

As enticing as the barefoot argument is, it's important to keep in mind that the foot must be trained to get stronger and stronger over time instead of going straight to no shoes running, as we've all basically grown up wearing shoes our whole lives. That's not mentioning that we've mostly grown up on asphalt as well, and it should go without saying that running barefoot on asphalt has a high probability of causing injury.

I've been rotating trainers with racing flats more so as to ease my feet into a process of strengthening. I'm quite positive I'll never go barefoot, but I think it's worthwhile to try running in minimalist shoes (racing flats) and gauge the effects on my feet. If I start to develop pain or discomfort, I'll back off, but if not, I'll probably stay with them.

Anyways....the book is great even without the barefoot theories. I also enjoyed the descriptions of the Taramahura tribe...basically vegan.
http://www.runvegan.wordpress.com
runrevolt

Javelina Jundred 100 Mile Run

Postby Julberg » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:51 pm

Caballo Blanco was at the Javelina 100 Mile Trail Run that I just ran on October 31. He did a presentation for us, it was amazing. It was fun to speak with him about his time with the Taramahura. This book is a very very good read.
Julberg

Postby andyO » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:51 pm

[quote="runrevolt"]At the risk of hijacking this thread and turning it into a barefoot argument...

As enticing as the barefoot argument is, it's important to keep in mind that the foot must be trained to get stronger and stronger over time instead of going straight to no shoes running, as we've all basically grown up wearing shoes our whole lives. That's not mentioning that we've mostly grown up on asphalt as well, and it should go without saying that running barefoot on asphalt has a high probability of causing injury.

I've been rotating trainers with racing flats more so as to ease my feet into a process of strengthening. I'm quite positive I'll never go barefoot, but I think it's worthwhile to try running in minimalist shoes (racing flats) and gauge the effects on my feet. If I start to develop pain or discomfort, I'll back off, but if not, I'll probably stay with them.

Anyways....the book is great even without the barefoot theories. I also enjoyed the descriptions of the Taramahura tribe...basically vegan.

I agree with you there runrevolt, it's important to ease your body into things. I have been transitioning into minimalist shoes for the last couple of years. I started doing this after reading Gordon Pirie's book 'running fast and injury free'. Don't think I'll ever go completely barefoot and I don't fancy getting my feet cut up by thorns, rocks etc (call me a big girls blouse!).
andyO

Re: Javelina Jundred 100 Mile Run

Postby andyO » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:52 pm

[quote="Julberg"]Caballo Blanco was at the Javelina 100 Mile Trail Run that I just ran on October 31. He did a presentation for us, it was amazing. It was fun to speak with him about his time with the Taramahura. This book is a very very good read.

Wowm it must have been really interesting to speak with him.
andyO

Return to Vegan Runners