Running genre?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Running genre?

Postby andyO » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:38 pm

Just wondering what peoples main focus in running is, as in if you train for anything in particular, what is that thing right now and has it changed over the years? I'm thinking track races, road races, trail, ultra etc?

When I was in school, I basically trained for track races, then I went through a phase of just running to keep fit for football. When I got back into running properly I was all about getting a fast 5K time, which slowly morphed into trying to get a fast 10K time. This phase was consisted of several nights a week doing hard interval sessions on the track (along with usual training) - I kinda liked the cold wet winter ones for some reason.

Nowadays I'm all about fell running and hardly ever run on anything else, love racing along through the 'wilderness', you'll find me running over bogs and mountains by torchlight in the autumn evenings now rather than racing round a floodlit track. I feel like a kid reborn now, running down the hills with a big grin on me daft face.
andyO

Postby Hiking Fox » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:50 pm

...and then he comes in and spreads mud and peat all over the house...
Hiking Fox

Postby skoptic » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:52 pm

Good work! I reckon fell running beats 10k rep training on a track any day (shame there aren't any fells near me). Glad to hear you run with a big grin on your face :-)

I suppose my main focus is just to enjoy the runs, like you say. I like to have events in the diary to help keep the training focus, and times are nice aim for and improve - but I'd rather do an interesting / different / beautiful run - than a flat and fast number. I got into ultras quite soon into my running and in the absence of decent hills - I like to hack about on trails and through woodland trying to stay away from roads :-)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby KaliBaby » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:02 pm

I'm no speed monster but I run to keep in shape and for enjoyment purposes. have really fallen in love with trail running this semester.
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby Konstantin » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:15 pm

Its a mix for me. I enjoy getting out and exploring the moors, but can be found enjoying 10 repeats of the same piece of road. I run to enjoy it, and I run with events and times at the forefront of my mind - which makes me train when I'm not particularly looking forward to it. And I run because I'm finally competing competitively in something measurable and doing reasonably well, which never really happened before.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby runner » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:52 pm

train for the track season, but like to race in winter as well. specially because there are so many nice races in winter, both on and off road.

it´s also nice to be able to run in races with elite runners
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby ultra_whippet » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:42 pm

It's all speedwork and 5Ks for me at the moment. It's not something I plan to do for ever, but I know I've got to stick with it for a good few months to get any real improvement.
ultra_whippet

Postby runner » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:47 pm

[quote="ultra_whippet"]It's all speedwork and 5Ks for me at the moment. It's not something I plan to do for ever, but I know I've got to stick with it for a good few months to get any real improvement.

looking forward to see the results!!

good luck!!
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby vCLaW » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:19 pm

I've only really started doing much running this year (before that I was mostly cycling instead), but I definitely prefer off-road running. Mostly just in the local forests, plus some running up the local hills - it is all about being in the 'wilderness', away from anyone else, and going somewhere interesting etc.
So far I've done a couple of hill races, and I'm planning on running more of them next year.

I did start doing some road running recently. Mainly so I could have a go at a few local races. Plus its useful if I'm away somewhere without many places to run off-road, or if I can't be bothered getting wet and muddy (as much fun as that is...). And I do have some nice fairly quiet roads around here, so I can make interesting routes.
vCLaW

Postby Tardigrada » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:22 pm

I'm running for my own enjoyment on road and trail. I try to prefer trails but I usually don't have enough time to go that far. Also, I'm trying to able to run 10K under hour, not much but at least it's a start.
Tardigrada

Postby KaliBaby » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:17 pm

[quote="vCLaW"]I've only really started doing much running this year (before that I was mostly cycling instead), but I definitely prefer off-road running. Mostly just in the local forests, plus some running up the local hills - it is all about being in the 'wilderness', away from anyone else, and going somewhere interesting etc.

[quote="Tardigrada"]I'm running for my own enjoyment on road and trail. I try to prefer trails but I usually don't have enough time to go that far. Also, I'm trying to able to run 10K under hour, not much but at least it's a start.

*thumbs up* :wink:
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby andyO » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:43 pm

Nice to hear everyone's stories, it's fun to hear that everyone is running for a slightly different reason and in a slightly different way.

Hope everyone is able to meet their goals and most of all has fun.
andyO

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:27 pm

I *just* started running a year ago, almost to the day.

I dont' really love it yet, but I'm not hating it like I used to. I run with the purpose of doing well in olympic distance triathlons, so 10k races. It doesn't feel that long.

I need to work on speed. I can't break 6mins per mile pace even when I run 1/4 miles.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby andyO » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:34 pm

[quote="xrodolfox"]

I need to work on speed. I can't break 6mins per mile pace even when I run 1/4 miles.

I'm sure that will come with time if you keep plugging away Rodolfo
andyO

Postby happyfeet » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:53 pm

I prefer trail running myself, but recently I've been getting up at ungodly hours to run on empty city streets without traffic restrictions.

It feels nice to burn through an empty intersection at 4 in the morning.
happyfeet

Next

Return to Vegan Runners