Table of running times?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Table of running times?

Postby Oak » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:51 am

What do people think about having a table of running times.

So we would have a little list for each distance with the time and the person.
Distances would be things like 100m and other sprints - these will be good for weightlifters to even try!
Then more distance races 5k, 10k, half-marathon and marathon.

This could be of use to track and field athletes, runners, triathletes and powerlifters and people just trying to improbe their fitness.

Times given would be ones got in training (PB's) or in competition.

Oak :D
Oak

Postby stateofflux » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:52 am

great idea, Oak. I think you should do it.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby JP » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:55 am

if you do this Oak, i'll promise do 100 metres sprint and time it! I'm sure it sucks, but someone has to tail the list :D

great idea!
JP
Site Admin

yeah!

Postby TriMe » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:09 pm

If you do this I'll even put up my scrawny muscle sizes on the weight lifting group :)
TriMe

Postby tylerm » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:18 pm

I'd be in on this. I used to run alot, but not so much anymore.. this would give me something to work for :D
tylerm

Postby Dave Noisy » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:36 am

If we do this, i'd like to see some cycling times too!! =)

I'd like to see what others do for a 200m, 500m and kilo...muahahahha!

=) =) =)
Dave Noisy

Postby fredrikw » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:54 am

I was also thinking about cycling times also, but discarded that idea. Unless we're talking about track cycling, there's no way of comparing one 30km ride with another...
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:43 pm

Aye, tho times will vary with indoor/outdoor tracks too.

Is there a velodrome near you? The shorter distances, like a 4km pursuit would be a good base...
Dave Noisy

Cylcing and running

Postby Oak » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:24 pm

I'm sure a cycling table will be coming in the not too distant future. but we'll do them one at a time :lol:

The same thing with running races and cycling is that the time depends on the course often. The sprints and even the 10k are done on a 400m track but usually distance races are over different terrains. Still times are a good indicator.

Any of you cyclists run?

Joni - can't wait to see your 100m time (i think my best was 11.1 at 20 but i'll test it again)

TriMe - You can chase me on with the weights (if you aren't stronger) and i can chase you on the running?

I think this could be good to motivate people to get fitter and stronger. For some Fitter, bigger, stronger :lol:

Any one else got any thoughts?
Oak

Postby Mary » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:51 pm

Running times, can we include running on a machine? Or does it have to be a track? I could manage either, but I could be the female trailing the table!

Great idea though, as is the notion of a cycling table.
Mary

Postby Fruitbat » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:40 pm

I like the idea as long as we can include treadmill running! i do 1 - 4 km usually
Fruitbat

Postby fredrikw » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:16 pm

[quote="Dave Noisy"]Aye, tho times will vary with indoor/outdoor tracks too.

Is there a velodrome near you? The shorter distances, like a 4km pursuit would be a good base...

No, there are no velodromes at all in Sweden... :cry: The closest are in Denmark... We do have some indoor tracks (which actually is running tracks with a slight bank that cycling clubs use for winter training), but nothing proper.

[quote="oak"]The same thing with running races and cycling is that the time depends on the course often. The sprints and even the 10k are done on a 400m track but usually distance races are over different terrains. Still times are a good indicator.

For cycling the factors that affects your time (altitude, wind, road conditions) are way too big. My guess is that the within variance will be of the same magnitude as the between variance, hence making the comparison useless. (in english: the time that one cyclist will get riding different courses or with different weather conditions with the same distance will vary in the same way as between different cyclists)....
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Dave Noisy » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:17 pm

um...i try to avoid spending time on my feet. =P

Running isn't very helpful for cycling, so most cyclists don't run...i like the idea of a treadmill too tho, good way to keep it consistant! I might even participate in some of the shorter distances. (1-4km..)

hmmm...i guess the indoor training centre is better than nothing!

Still, we could chart out our PB's, and note the conditions...?
Dave Noisy

In the running

Postby Oak » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:39 pm

Ok.

I think i'll do the table.

I'm not sure about the treadmill thing. I think the treadmill can be a useful training tool. But the technique for running is different when you are freerunning. I was thinking of the table as representing the actual sport of running. Also to raise our game.

Plus my gyms treadmill for instance only goes up to 20km which i can run at for a decent time. So that's not too useful.

It shouldn't be too much bother to get yourself down to an athletic ground or check a local running group for routes for the qualifying distance.

The thing that indicates a good runner is consistancy, even in different conditions.

I don't think there is much to stop a cyclist running is there? There are plenty of amazing cyclists that are also good runners.

I know for a distance cyclist running doesn't really add anything to the performance. Although i hear it is fantastic for mountain biking.

Saying that you would get better all round fitness and probably due to using your muscles differently avoid some injuries.

I'll make a note on the table if the running is done on Indoor or outdoor.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Any last ideas?

p.s. don't worry we'll come up with a cycling thing in the not too distant future :lol: I'm going to be checking out a Velodrome soon!
Oak

Postby Dave Noisy » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:02 pm

I like your ideas on running, tho i prolly won't participate too much...running..yuck!

My memory cells aren't kicking in, but i spent a fair bit of time researching running and cycling, and it was pretty much agreed across the board that cycling can help with running a bit, but running does nothing to help your cycling. (This is at a high level, for all the fat potatoes out there, anything would be good!) Unfortunately i can't recall what the differences were... The fact that it's not great to run more than 1hr (where as you could ride 3+hrs every day without any ill effect) is part of it.

I'm also doubtful running would be good for MTBers, short of getting up steep climbs, off the bike...but most of the stuff i read was road-specific.

Cool you're gonna hit a velodrome too. Make sure you do the 200m, kilo and maybe a 4km pursuit run. =)
Dave Noisy

Next

Return to Vegan Runners