Which Garmin?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Which Garmin?

Postby Konstantin » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:21 pm

I think I need to get a GPS monitor. Bearing in mind thta I'm tight and my income has fallen in the current economy, I want to spend as little as possible and have been on eBay.

The Forerunner 301 (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=270#specsTab) looks suitable, but has anyone got any opinions? I basically want to know how far I've been. The HRM sounds good too, and things like Tim/Distance alarm sound helpful. Anyone reckon I need to spend more than this costs? (£61 including 12 months warranty).
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby Travelgal08 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:11 pm

No idea, sorry Konstantin. I have a Polar HRM but haven't used it much yet.
Travelgal08

Postby fredrikw » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:25 pm

The 301 is as far as I know the first generation of GPS enabled watches from Garmin, and the newer ones (305 and 405) are smaller, lighter and have better GPS receivers (good if you run in forests and among tall buildings), so they will be an overall better choice if you can afford them.

But if you're on a tight budget and want a GPS enabled watch I doubt you'll be disappointed with the 301, since it still has a high quality GPS receiver in it and are made by Garmin who have done GPS units for a long time. And for £61 it sounds like a bargain.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:45 am

Thanks Fredrikw, I think that the issue about running in woodlands etc. is the most concerning for me, I could lose the signal for long periods it seems.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:56 pm

I have a Garmin 305, and I love it.

I use it running through the woods. I've used it running in South America in between huge skycrapers nestled in smog. I've used it running in the hills of New Englad. I've used it on my bike with a cadence sensor. I've used it in races that have put me in trail runs with thick canopies of trees overhead.

I use it just about once every two days. It is fantastic. It's never lost a signal once I've picked it up. Sometimes, when I take it on trips, it'll take a while to get a signal. Like when I went to Chile from Michigan. It took about 5 mintues to get a signal. But that's rare. If I am on my regular route, it takes under a minute to pick up a signal (if I'm standing still in an open area), and then won't loose a signal even when I wander indoors not far from a window, and certainly won't loose signals in a thick cover of trees.

That's what I go, and I love it.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Gastroplodder » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:42 pm

I had a 301 for a while but found it a bit frustrating. It would loose signal in the woods and I'd have to stop to let it pick up again. Fine with open sky but even running under overhanging trees it would sometimes have problems.

I flogged it on ebay and got a 405 is really great, so long as I let it get a good signal to start with it hardly ever looses it.

Nik
Gastroplodder

Postby Konstantin » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:42 pm

Thanks Rodolfo and Gastro. I've decided on a 305, some folk locally have 305s and say they're fine in the woods around here. The feedback is much appreciated.
Konstantin

Postby fredrikw » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:46 pm

and don't bother with Garmin's own software (Garmin Training Center), more or less everyone agrees it's shit. Go directly for SportTracks instead.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby gms » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:59 pm

[quote="fredrikw"] more or less everyone agrees it's shit.

more
gms

Postby Konstantin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:39 am

Thanks for your guidance folks, I've made friends with a 305 which is really working well.

So far the Garmin training centre software looks OK. Why don't people like it? Or maybe I'm just easy to impress.
Konstantin

Postby fredrikw » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:09 pm

[quote="Konstantin"]So far the Garmin training centre software looks OK. Why don't people like it? Or maybe I'm just easy to impress.

I guess you are ;)

The problem with it is that it doesn't allow for any kind of analysis of the data, and it's more like a file manager for TCX-files than a training journal software. I guess if what you are comparing with is writing it down on paper or posting your log here it's a step up, but compared to what a training journal software could do it's not even providing the basic functionality. Try out SportTracks and you'll understand what I'm talking about :)
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby veganlisa » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:16 am

My husband bought me the 405CX today. I hope it's user-friendly. I'll have to compare Garmin to the SportTracks software and see which one I like better. I'm sure my husband will also have an opinion since he's a software developer. I should have him develop some decent software and present it to Garmin...the international headquarters is practically down the street from us. :P
veganlisa

Postby xrodolfox » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:29 am

Let me know how you like it.

A few friends have the 405, and their reviews are mixed.

Apparently, the bezel controls are hard to operate when sweaty, which, after all, is a reasonable by product of working out.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:46 am

I have used a 405 for a year now, and I'm very pleased with it. I'm not much for changing settings and displays when training or racing, so I keep the bezel locked anyway (mainly to avoid accidently chaning the display which is easy to do when the bezel is touch sensitive), so it doesn't bother me at all that it doesn't work when it's wet. The buttons (start/stop and lap) works without any problems. Personally I see no need to get into menus and fiddle around with it when I'm training. Before and after, yeah, but not during.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Avoid GPS units

Postby Big Foot Marty » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:14 am

I have found sevral problems with several wrist sized GPS.

- lose contact
- use battery up during long runs or races
- accuracy was so so- ( got better results with computer mapping

Just started with footpod ( accelerometer) and it was nearly perfect, never lost contact in woods nor in town between buildings on in tunnel
Former football player now a runner and new Vegan. Run several marathons and other races now trying to learn how to eat and thrive on Vegan diet. And run successfully for Fun... Blogs - http://veggierunnereating.blogspot.com/
Big Foot Marty

Return to Vegan Runners