My first distance race!

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby Renecarol25 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:38 pm

Well I raced it as a jogger with my 45 pound daughter. There supposedly raceable with up to an average 6 year old child. So that really slowed me down a lot. Plus I left my good NB running shoes at my mother-in-laws house so I had to race in non-running shoes which really hurt my feet.. there were lots of factors in my running terribly. I don't think I'll ever race a jogger again as its about the hardest thing I've ever done. I have a lot of respect for people who race them now though. I'm just ready to move on to the next race and put this one behind me.
Renee
Renecarol25

Postby Mary » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:48 pm

There you go then! If you were racing with your kid it is not surprising you didn't come in fast. Great to get your girl into it though! Bet she loved it. Hope your feet have recovered though.
Mary

The summary

Postby Oak » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:56 pm

OK Then.

Gave myself a little suprise due to the circumstances. Read on...

So i got to the start of the race, knowing that i was not going to be able to run a good time due to my still tender plantar faciitis (Sore foot :lol: ).

So first thing was to get to the start.
I was confused by the large amount of people, there were loads of them! I thought it worked like a queue or something :oops:
But no, you had to go to the time that you thought it would take you to run the race. I thought because i was going to run and not race i'll start off just infront of the 50 min mark

Then the start gun went! Nothing happened! It was about 10min until i started running. I soon realised that i was going to have to overtake people. I didn't stop overtaking until the end. Now i realise how important it is to get your starting position roughly right.

It was impossible for me to start really sweating as any faster was hurting my foot too much + the wind in my face was cooling me down :)

The run went smooth enough. Loved the water at the 5k mark! Everyone was throwing away there bottle, but i just couldn't do it. I had to run to a bin :lol:

I shared some moans with fellow runners "i feel awful", "when is this going to end", "stupid cobbles".
Edinburgh has these stupid cobbled streets, trying to emulate Roman roads or something. I hated them on my bike but now i hate them as a sore footed runner.

As i was running into the stadium i was dreading the lap around the track that was still to go!
But there wasn't one! Only about 150m, which i did a sprint finish on! Whoo hooo!

So i pulled my watch out my pocket and it said 43mins and some seconds.
Just have to wait for the release of the chip times on Tuesday.

If i had no injuries i was going to try and fit each Km into 4mins. It was really good though to have an excuse to just not force anything and just run.

Oak :D
p.s. Rene that is pure madness running with a kid on your back (is that what you had to do?) Pure madness. :lol:
Oak

Postby Renecarol25 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:40 pm

No I ran pushing a jogger...
http://www.bodytrends.com/products/baby ... roller.htm
don't you have joggers in your races over there? It looks so easy watching other people do it. I remember last year a 10K I did... they started the joggers out early and I remember these two guys really pushing it at the end with their kids they were going so fast. Poor kids had to be terrified.
Renee
Renecarol25

Postby Heyutang » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:36 am

[quote]http://www.bodytrends.com/products/baby/marathonsinglejogstroller.htm
:shock: :shock: You mean you ran with that?? Never heard of that/ never seen it! How can you run without moving your arms and stuff? Well it must be fun for the child, if not too fast.
Oak, 10 k in 43 mins is not bad. Are you aiming for longer distances as well? I once trained to do a marathon in 3h15, but finished in 3h28. So much harder than you think! Especially between 35 and 40...oh well. Keep on running. I only run on a treadmill now, since it si impossible for me to run in Hk without dying. :shock:
Heyutang

Postby Mary » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:59 am

Never ever seen anybody race with their kid before! Seriously, I mean it - I bet she loved it.
Mary

Postby ultra_whippet » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:05 pm

As a useless bit of trivia, the world record for a 10K whilst pushing a pram is apparently 34:26!!!!! :shock:
ultra_whippet

Postby Renecarol25 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:30 pm

The man that won the Jogger division in the 10K race I did last fall did it in 34:46 so not far off the record! They were hauling it.. the women ran it in 45-50 range so no chance of me placing. I don't think I'll ever try to do it again.. not unless there were only 3 women in that division and I was sure I'd get a medal for my effort at least.
Renee
Renecarol25

Postby JO » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:24 pm

Wow Oak sounds like a great race you had! Can't imagine running on cobblestones, plantar fasciitis or no! How often do they hold races?

Well, I guess it's good training for you to push one of those things, RC. Maybe Mary can do something like that to train for Tough Guy! :)

JO
Kinetic-corporeal joy is known to ALL creatures.
JO

Postby JP » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:02 pm

well done both Renee and Oak! Whehey!
JP
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Vegan Runners