My first distance race!

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

My first distance race!

Postby Oak » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:50 am

Hallo people,

I am entering my first 10k race on sept 12th and am looking for any advice or encouragement.

I am going to be chasing down an ex-county champion. Having done a lot of sprint training i have a habit of setting off to quickly and not pacing myself - so this will be handy.

The course is in Edinburgh, Scotland - so it's going to be pretty hilly. I've done a little hill training so hope it's enough. Must remember to pump those arms going up. :lol:

I'm not looking for a good time really, just some experience on how to pace myself.

This is part of my more serious training for the triathlon, so i'm going to have to do a lot of these. :cry:

Oak :D
Oak

Postby stateofflux » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:07 am

woah! Best of luck Oak. When will it be? Maybe we can get a Manchester cheerleader crew together :D
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Mary » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:30 am

Good luck Oak! However you do, you are bound to do better than me on my first 10k. My problem is similar to yours. I don't know how to pace myself. I would love to have an experienced running buddy... Out of the question mind with bbing. Maybe in the future...

Strong shoulders really help though, so that is a good idea. I think you have a good physique for running anyway. Muscular, but naturally lean. So have a good time and keep us all updated.
Mary

Postby JO » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:27 pm

Great idea, Oak! Practical experience regardless of whether it's a good time or not, is ALWAY handy! (But have a good time, anyway :))
Kinetic-corporeal joy is known to ALL creatures.
JO

Details

Postby Oak » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:30 pm

Thanks guys!

So i need strong shoulders? Bums! I have weak shoulders, i'll have to keep that in mind for my next race. Thanks Mary

Well i've got 2 weeks final prep time - not sure how to use it. I've has about a month off of consistant training. Oh well, back on track now.

The race is on the 12th of september at 9:45. It sounds really cool! They have a system called championchip. A little chip gets attached to your shoe and records your result. 8)

The are a rediculous amount of athletic clubs entering, so i'm just gonna have to ignore them. :lol:
Usually there are 6000 runners.

I hope to have a vegan runners top in time for the race, which i'll wear proudly.

We played this game recently at our gym where we had to run a secret lap (details hidden from us) and we had to guess how long it would take us - we were given a rough distance (1.2Miles). i guessed mine at 7:30 and did it in 7:41. Could of done it quicker i think. But the point to see if your estimate was the same as your performance. I was the closest - so i won the prize!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First time ever that i've won a prize!

Oak

Postby JO » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:56 pm

watch out for that championchip. keep your own time or make absolutely certain the chip is working. the last race I did the chip wasn't working and so it defaulted to race clock time rather than corresponding to when I passed the chip sensors. The clock started with the wheelchair race, the footrace started 10 minutes later, and as a slowpoke I hung back. By the time I passed the start line 12-15 minutes had elapsed!
JO

Postby JO » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:18 pm

also, I'm glad you have a pretty good sense of your speed, give or take 10 seconds, so early in your running career. that's very important for an athlete to have. congrats on your prize!! have a great time in more ways than one (and don't wear yourself out the day before the race).

excited for you!

:)
JO

Postby Strix » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:03 pm

Great, Oak!
~~~Sending you good VEGAN POWER vibes~~~ :D

GO! GO! Image
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby ultra_whippet » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:20 am

Well good luck - bear in mind that most people will set off too fast, so don't worry about people passing you early on. Enjoy!!!
ultra_whippet

Postby Kate » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:24 pm

glad to hear someone else is gearing up for a race, I've been training for the last couple of months for a half marathon. I haven't run a road race in the last 6 years, I've just been running consistently on my own. Sept.16th will see how it goes! Good Luck to you.
Kate

Postby Renecarol25 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:03 am

Good Luck Oak!!

I'll be cheering for you from this side of the ocean. I have a race on the 11th.. I haven't been running so much all summer. I really just started back only running a mile or two at a time. Today is the first day I've ran more than a 5k since about April. At least it'll be practice for the races in October and November.
Renecarol25

This is it

Postby Oak » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:06 pm

Thankyou everyone for the cheers!

So even with an almost recovered foot (not been able to exercise for a while now) I'm going for it tomorrow morning.

Hey Kate and Rene (and anybody else) let me know how your races go.

I'll be wearing my "vegan runners" top tomorrow. Let's hope my foot holds up? Ah well, it's my first one anyway :lol:

Oak

Postby Renecarol25 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:16 pm

I did really poorly and don't want to post my time. I hope you fared much better Oak.
Renecarol25

Postby Kate » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:50 pm

Good Luck with the race, hope all goes well! Mine's not till the 19th, but the training's going along great.
Kate

Postby Mary » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:13 pm

Don't go putting yourself down. I am sure you did well - by which I mean I am sure you ran the best you could on the day. It mightn't be your personal best, but only you know what factors came into play when the race started. How have you been?

You must do better time wise than me anyway!
Mary

Next

Return to Vegan Runners