Running with someone slower than you

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Running with someone slower than you

Postby lobsteriffic » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:44 pm

I've ran solo for 5 years or so. Now I have a running buddy ~2x/week. This is great, I like the company and all, but since he is new to running he runs quite a bit slower than I do.

I run 4x/week and so half of my runs are being done at this slow pace. I'm not training for anything specific. Would it hurt to have half of my workouts done at this easy pace? I'm slowly amping up my mileage after foot surgery last year, so I'm hesitant to add in a fifth running day in a week.

I want to encourage this person to keep up with running and I feel like they probably wouldn't if they had to go it alone.
lobsteriffic

Re: Running with someone slower than you

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:50 pm

I guess it depends on just how slow; however, most likely it will be good for you. Many people tend to do too much of their running at the same pace and their hard and easy days become very similar - if they even incorporate them. You can take advantage of the fact that these slower runs will take less out of you, and you can ramp up the intensity on one or two of the days you are not running with him - either with some sort of tempo running and/or intervals if you are so motivated. I suspect in the end you will find that your fast running pace will become faster.

lobsteriffic wrote:I've ran solo for 5 years or so. Now I have a running buddy ~2x/week. This is great, I like the company and all, but since he is new to running he runs quite a bit slower than I do.

I run 4x/week and so half of my runs are being done at this slow pace. I'm not training for anything specific. Would it hurt to have half of my workouts done at this easy pace? I'm slowly amping up my mileage after foot surgery last year, so I'm hesitant to add in a fifth running day in a week.

I want to encourage this person to keep up with running and I feel like they probably wouldn't if they had to go it alone.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby lobsteriffic » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks, that's helpful.

You are right, somehow all of my runs end up being tempo runs, even though that's not my intention. So it's nice having someone force me to vary my pace.
lobsteriffic

Postby skoptic » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:21 pm

Yeah, I agree it can be very easy for slow runs to speed up and kind of all meet in the middle with tempo runs. I'd agree take the chance to have a chat during these runs.. and like Mr C says, treat them as recovery runs after pushing the other days a bit.

If it does get a bit unbearable at points.. you can incorporate some intervals where you go fast for a min or 2 away and then back to them... and let them do the talking as you gasp for air :).

It's really nice to inspire someone else to train too .. good work!
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby lobsteriffic » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:26 am

skoptic wrote:
If it does get a bit unbearable at points.. you can incorporate some intervals where you go fast for a min or 2 away and then back to them... and let them do the talking as you gasp for air :).

I like this idea! I might just try it out - thanks!
lobsteriffic

Postby ha » Wed May 09, 2012 1:53 am

if you're coming back from injury slow miles are the go.
raw vegan banana case that has cycled over 190 000km cycled as a vegan.

y - youtube.com/durianriders
f - facebook.com/durianrider
t - twitter.com/durianryder
b - durianrider.org
w - 30bananasaday.com

Drink up, carb up, sleep up... cos everyday is the day to live it up!
ha

Postby ColleenE » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:51 pm

I wouldn't run more than 2 minutes slower than my slow run pace as I feel this place an undue amount of strain on my body. If the pace actually bothers you body, I would reduce that buddy day to one day. Could you two possibly go to a track instead (or some confined area?) that way you can, say, do 400m repeats or somesuch each at your own pace and reconvene for the recoveries.

Ha, that's why I usually run alone, too:) I hate being with folks either too slow or too fast:)
ColleenE

Return to Vegan Runners