forearms problem

For injury and health related discussion and support only. Please note that this is not a substitute for seeing a health care professional.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

forearms problem

Postby bronco » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:00 am

lately my forearms have been giving me some pain whenever I lift with a supinated grip. I know this is quite common and the usual advice is to avoid the supinated grip which I have allready started doing to some degree. I will avoid it completely from now on I think. I also plan to start doing some ligth forearm exercises and stretching. Any other suggestions?
JP wrote:Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby littlegirlbunny » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:01 pm

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3989

It may have some advice which applies to your situation too :wink:
"life with littlegirlbunny is never dull"
littlegirlbunny

Postby bronco » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:27 am

littlegirlbunny wrote:Have you seen this thread?

Thanks for pointing that out, has some good advice in there :). Actually I have seen it before, but somehow missed it yesterday when I looked for threads on forearm problems :oops:.
JP wrote:Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby ida » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:47 am

I am not doing that much weights so I don't know what a supinated grip is.

But I DO know that in my sports (aerobox and rowing) people sometimes feels alot of pain in the forearms after training and have troubbles lifting/gripping anything at all. even the smallest pencil or fork can be difficult in the worst cases. anyway, what's recommended then is often to stretch the forearm by keeping the sore arm straight, elbow pointing towards the floor (palm towards the ceiling) and get hold of the fingers with the other hand, and stretching them also towards the floor for 10-20 sec, rest and then stretch again. Repeat this set as often as you can in your everyday life - while waiting for the bus, at the movies, infront of the tv - for 3-4 weeks. Do at least 8-10 sets a day.

doing dishes by hand in really warm water is another thing that some people say can be helpful with sore forearm situations, it's like watergymnastics for the wrists and forearms. and the dishes are being done at the same time, isn't that practical :D ???

I'm not sure if these tips will help your lifting situation (as I said, I don't know anything about weightlifting) but they usually help people with pain in their forearms due to gripping and pulling stuff on a regular basis

Bronco - If I didn't could make my self understood in english about the stretching move, just let me know and I'll explain it to you in swedish :D
there is always time for rowing
ida

Postby bronco » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:08 am

ida wrote:I am not doing that much weights so I don't know what a supinated grip is.

quoting wikipedia.org:
Supination means rotation of the forearm such that the palm of the hand faces forward or upward, and pronation means rotation of the forearm such that the palm of the hand faces backward or downward; the forearm with the hand is supinated or pronated at the elbow

But I DO know that in my sports (aerobox and rowing) people sometimes feels alot of pain in the forearms after training and have troubbles lifting/gripping anything at all. even the smallest pencil or fork can be difficult in the worst cases.

Luckily I'm not that bad off.

anyway, what's recommended then is often to stretch the forearm by keeping the sore arm straight, elbow pointing towards the floor (palm towards the ceiling) and get hold of the fingers with the other hand, and stretching them also towards the floor for 10-20 sec, rest and then stretch again. Repeat this set as often as you can in your everyday life - while waiting for the bus, at the movies, infront of the tv - for 3-4 weeks. Do at least 8-10 sets a day.

Thanks, I'll do this.

doing dishes by hand in really warm water is another thing that some people say can be helpful with sore forearm situations, it's like watergymnastics for the wrists and forearms. and the dishes are being done at the same time, isn't that practical :D ???

Maybe I'll do this as well, even though we have a dishwashingmachine :D.

Bronco - If I didn't could make my self understood in english about the stretching move, just let me know and I'll explain it to you in swedish :D

No need, but thanks anyway :).

thanks,
Gustav

bronco
Site Admin

Return to Injury Prevention and Support Forum