Probable Turf Toe

For injury and health related discussion and support only. Please note that this is not a substitute for seeing a health care professional.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Probable Turf Toe

Postby jamesndawson » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:21 pm

I've been developing this pain under and around my right big toe and today it's reached an almost intolerable level of discomfort and pain. It's intermittent and sometimes will subside for minutes, maybe hours at a time, bothering me mostly at night or when napping. I've done some research and a couple words that came up are "sesamoid injury" and "turf toe". I spend an awful amount of time on my feet in addition to my two runs a week, so I'm sure something's just worn out. I've read a little about it so I know what I'm supposed to do---basically RICE---so I'm not expecting any advice, I just felt like coming on here and whining about it.

I've had anterior knee, sciatica and most recently achilles tendinopathy (which I've been working on and is almost or totally healed), so maybe I don't have to worry to much about this, but it is so annoyingly painful, a constant, pulsating sharp ache. I'm thinking of taking a good break from running although I don't like to. I hope I'm over this soon.
Last edited by jamesndawson on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James
jamesndawson

Re: Probable Surf Toe

Postby vogiama » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:57 am

I don't know anything about the sesamoid injury. But I know injuries, even small ones, can be frustrating sometimes. Only if you want to, maybe consider adding daily one teaspoon of tumeric powder and one teaspoon of ginger powder along with some water. They both have powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
vogiama

Re: Probable Turf Toe

Postby jamesndawson » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:54 pm

Thanks. It was gradually subsiding last night and this morning I don't feel it at all. I watched a YouTube video on it and the graphics showed pretty much exactly the same area mine was hurting, but mine wasn't tender to the touch or painful when I flexed my toes or walked, so maybe mine was a mild case. Even so, when it hurt it was pretty bad. Enough to disturb sleep.
I put curry with turmeric in my soup regularly, but I appreciate the advice. No, my feet are feeling unusually good this morning, but I'm never quite sure why.
Here's that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg_npp9HQ94
Last edited by jamesndawson on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
James
jamesndawson

Postby Leen n Meen » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:00 pm

Hey James, sorry to hear about your toe pain that can be frustrating if you're wanting to be out running! have you had a recent increase in the amount of running you do, a change in footwear or amount of time spent on your feet during the day?

Most running injuries are preventable with a good strengthening program and careful monitoring of your acute to chronic load.

What this means is that your load during the week should not be higher than 10% of your weekly load for the previous four weeks. Spikes in running load tend to result in injury as the body isn't given the time to adapt!

I'm not sure if this will help with your current injury but it'll surely help with future injuries.

Lee
Leen n Meen

Postby jamesndawson » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:49 pm

I have a lawn service in which I mow lawns and do other work so I do a considerable amount of walking. This, not so much my running, may have increased a bit recently.
Except for a few twinges here and there, the problem's subsided quite a bit, almost completely actually. To be frank, I'm not even quite sure why. I don't feel it as much when working or running as I do when resting or just walking around the house. It seems sporadic and patternless.
The rolling pin under the calf on my left leg helped so much for my achilles tendinopathy that I thought I'd try it this morning on my right calf and yes there was quite a stiff and painful area I wasn't even aware of. The massage also seemed to trigger the toe pain, surprisingly. So maybe I've stumbled on an effective treatment.
I did run this morning and it was a pretty good one by my standards.
James
jamesndawson

Postby Leen n Meen » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:34 pm

It sounds like you have quite an active lifestyle! i was thinking you may have a stress fracture or tendinopathy but it doesn't sound like it as the pain has subsided. Sometimes if you've had a few injuries in the past that have put you out, the nervous system becomes sensitive, causing strange pain when there's nothing really wrong. Here's a cool video that might explain it better. Also, I haven't tried a rolling pin on the calves but that sounds good!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gwd-wLdIHjs
Leen n Meen

Return to Injury Prevention and Support Forum