Probabe rotator cuff injury

For injury and health related discussion and support only. Please note that this is not a substitute for seeing a health care professional.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Probabe rotator cuff injury

Postby jamesndawson » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:28 pm

I've developed a painful rightshoulder, arm and elbow, probably the cumulative effect of my lawn service work, mainly mowing and weed trimming. From the Net research I've done, it pretty much fits the description of a "rotator cuff injury", and it sounds rather ominous, especially for me, at age 56.
I'm going to call a bunch of clients and let them know I may not be in next week, because I have to let it heal, but the big scary question is, WILL it heal??? It seems to be a little better than it was yesterday, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.
I'm disappointed that it may prevent me from going to my swimming lessons, though I plan to at least go and watch the class, since I did pay for it, and watching is better than nothing.
Has anybody ever had a rotator cuff injury? Did it heal? I think I read slings were bad for them in one source, absolutely necessary in another. One source recommended Ibuprofin, another said painkillers were bad for it. What are your experiences with rotator cuff injuries? Does anybody here know of any forums that specialize in support and discussion for it?
Much thanks.
James
jamesndawson

Re: Probabe rotator cuff injury

Postby jamesndawson » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:09 am

I've been rethinking this a little. I don't think the shoulder is involved that much, though it could be. When I bring my right palm to my left shoulder or upper pectoral, there is considerable pain, but not so much that I can't do it. I seem to feel it in the forearm, the crook of my arm, the elbow, the back of my upper arm a little below the deltoid, and even a little in the wrist. It doesn't really disturb my sleep, though I may feel it a little. I sleep on the affected side just fine. Well, maybe I'll get back to everybody in a week. It only hurts when I make this and similar movements, the kind I do in grooming and other daily tasks. The pain is frequent, but not constant.
James
jamesndawson

Postby blinki » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:00 pm

If it's effecting your work it sounds worth seeing a doctor/physio if you can

Rotation is still involved in touching your opposite shoulder but I've no idea what would explain pain in so many places. I have however recently rehabed a rotator cuff injury so I'll tell you what worked for me in case it is helpful. First thing was getting my mobility back and keeping it moving, mostly doing rotations with a brush as a bar so it was nice and light, as well as lots of massage. It took a good few weeks to get the mobility back to just about the same as my good side. During that time I did no exercise that put stress on it. Then I started strengthening it with light rotator cuff exercises, still not doing anything else that stresses it, building it up slowly. Once the strength in my injured side started to feel about even with the uninjured side I started overhead pressing and bench pressing again, light weight, slowly building it back up- the aim here being to further strengthen it. It is still at this stage, my shoulder get more tired than they should for the weight lifted. Once it doesn't feel like this I will introduce rotator cuff specific work again to try to make it extra strong to reduce the risk of re-injury

In the short term, slings are bad IMO. You want to keep it moving, nothing harsh but you need to keep ans re-gain any lost mobility for it to be functional again. Pain killers are good in that they can help you keep moving it normally but otherwise no big deal.
blinki

Postby jamesndawson » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:40 pm

Thanks. Yes, it is effecting my work. I called one client today and he seemed a little put off, so I told him I'd be over as scheduled. He did pre-pay me. But I am going to call as many clients as I can and let them know I may not be over as usual and hopefully if I can't take the whole week off, I can narrow it down to just a few. Maybe in about a week I'll consider seeing a doctor. I don't want to get into that can of worms. My brother's been seeing a doctor about his TMJ for the past couple of years and hasn't gotten a lot of help.
I've cancelled my swim class so that's out of the way. I'm not going to do any bike riding and I'm not sure if I should cut out running, because I understand that even that involves some shoulder strain.
I've had plenty of aches and pains above the norm in my line of work. This seems a little worse than usual, but maybe I'm not remembering accurately. So I'm giving it a week of as little work and exercise as possible and hope for some improvement. I'm researching the Net and finding exercises and treatments but I need to print those out when I get my printer working, either that, or at the library---I can't absorb screen text very well.
So I'm working on it. But I appreciate the input.

[I've had advanced periodontitis for about the last 10 years and was told by all my dentists if I didn't get gum graft surgery---which is very expensive, temporary, painful and with a long recovery time---just eating would loosen my teeth little by little and they'd all fall out and that I was at high risk for stroke, heart disease and sundry other degenertive diseases, but I never got the surgery, and through taking insanely good care of my teeth, my periodontitis has stabilized to the point I hardly know I have it. So I'm very careful of being led down pessimistic scenarios and open to self-help, because I've successfully practiced it.]
James
jamesndawson

Postby jamesndawson » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:29 pm

It seems to be slowly getting a little better each day, so I'm optimistic, but very cautiously. I've cancelled another two clients and they've been very understanding, and I'm thinking of cancelling a couple more, but that may be a little more problematical.
I skimmed an article that hinted that runners can get not only foot and leg injuries, but upper body too, so I was hesitant to try to run, but I did this morning and pleasantly surprised that afterward i could bring my right palm to my left shoulder with hardly any pain at all. I guess it was the blood flow increase. Maybe runs are therapeutic for this?
James
jamesndawson

Postby blinki » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:02 pm

[quote="jamesndawson"] Maybe runs are therapeutic for this?

I wouldn't conclude that. I'd go with being fully warm improves mobility in general but no ore than that. It would suggest though running at least doesn't do any harm
blinki

Postby hardcore iv » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:00 am

See a physiotherapist if you can. Sounds like you may be irritating a nerve if the pain is going all the way down your arm.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby jamesndawson » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:35 am

Thanks. The pain's about 99.9% gone now, but it was a wake up call that I can't push myself like I was. I went through a period where I was going to doctors all the time, saw many, and got mostly the same opinion---it was psychosomatic. I've told them all about this. "You're just getting old." Anyway, the rest did the job, but I'm going to have to take it easy from now on.
James
jamesndawson

Return to Injury Prevention and Support Forum