High blood pressure

For injury and health related discussion and support only. Please note that this is not a substitute for seeing a health care professional.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

High blood pressure

Postby VeganGraham » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:18 am

I was supposed to have an operation today for Hydrocele Testis (probably best not to do a Google images search on this if you're at work).
I've always had slightly high blood pressure on the few occasions I've had it checked in the past and it was high at the pre-op last week.
I had it checked again this morning before the operation and it was too high to be allowed to be anesthetised, 180 over 110, so the operation got cancelled and I've got to see my GP tomorrow about a course of blood pressure reducing tablets.

Looking at the NHS page on Hypertension, I'm doing everything right. The only thing that's doubtful is the overweight bit. 94kg at 186cm gives me a BMI of 27.2. I know that number takes no account of the relative density of muscle and fat though, and I certainly don't look fat.

Any advice, other than take the tablets and trust to modern medicine ?
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Re: High blood pressure

Postby vegimator » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:22 pm

This is probably what you've already read but make sure you're getting a lot of fiber (as a vegan, you probably are), and maybe take magnesium pills (or at least eat lots of high magnesium foods) and cut out salt.
vegimator

Postby britdoc » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:38 pm

It does sound like you are doing everything right, but best to get things checked out anyway (which you are doing, obviously). Not sure what your age is, but by 50, 90% of us have high blood pressure of some sort (usually 'primary' hypertension, which is most common and due to genetic/environmental factors). There are multiple other reasons why your blood pressure could be high - secondary hypertension, due to other reasons - usually kidney/endocrine related such as renal artery stenosis, a pheochromocytoma (exotic and highly unlikely but does happen!) Also consider the obvious - anxiety because you are about to have your groin surgerized...! Anyway, a diagnosis of hypertension should not be made from one pre-operative measurement; it should be 3 readings or so with a blood pressure cuff, ideally a month apart and ideally not before a surgery. That being said, if you are the type to have BP go through the roof under stress it might not be a bad idea to have your doc put you on something temporarily so you can have this surgery and move on.
britdoc

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:03 pm

Being vegan doesn't mean you're getting fiber. Might be worth doing a diet diary?
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby VeganGraham » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:27 pm

I don't think fibre will be a problem, I eat loads of wholemeal bread and pasta and brown rice.
Without actually weighing and measuring what I eat, I'm probably OK for magnesium too, going by the list here, http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnes ... fessional/
I would guess that if I'm put on a course of tablets tomorrow, they will contain magnesium, amongst other things, so there's no need to independently start taking a magnesium supplement.
Salt is the one thing I wondered about. I never add salt to cooking and rarely eat processed foods. In fact, I find things like Linda McCartney sausage rolls and Cauldron falafels taste too salty to me.
Doing a manual job (truck mechanic) while wearing overalls in 30 degrees heat, I'd have thought i was more at risk of salt deficiency through sweating.

I'm aged 50 and I never feel comfortable in hospitals, although they're not really any worse than any other crowded indoor place.
My heart rate was around 60ish while the tests were being done, so I don't think I was particularly stressed at the time.
I found it amusing that by consciously relaxing I could get it down to about 55 yet, when the nurse started chatting to me, presumably to try to put me at ease, it went up to 63 due to the stress of having to listen to and reply to someone when I'd rather sit quietly on my own. :?

I'll get a cheap BP monitoring machine to do my own tests at home. I know it won't be calibrated, but it should be able to reveal any day to day trends.
This DASH diet from the US government looks interesting.
It's not all that different from what I eat now, apart from it not being vegan of course. The biggest difference I can see is the green vegetables, that's the one thing I may be short of. I'll make an effort to eat more cabbage, spinach and broccoli.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby donaldbing » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:29 pm

Hypertension is not a disease that can be easily overlooked. It may not be obvious, but there is a big risk of leading to other diseases by hypertension. I think you should listen to your doctor's advice. And you'd better take a wrist blood pressure monitor with you. We old people should pay more attention to our own health condition. :)
donaldbing

Postby GingerAnn » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:49 am

I am a nurse and I am surprised that no one caught your high blood pressure prior to the day of surgery. People are naturally nervous prior to surgery and often times have a higher blood pressure due to stress, however 180's systolic is too high. I would ask my primary care doctor why they think I had a sudden rise in blood pressure if my prior blood pressures were normal. I would definitely express all concerns regarding taking your medication with your doctor. You place yourself at risk of having a stroke if you have blood pressures that high and leave it untreated. If you want to go more natural I would ask the doctor to see to it that you do it safely. The first thing to cut out is salt at that will instantly affect blood pressure. The second thing to monitor is saturated fats, cholesterol, and other artery clogging foods. You stated you were not concerned with your weight. Weight is often not a huge concern as long as blood pressure and cholesterol/triglyceride levels are in a safe range. Again, I would address all of this with your doctor. I also suggest checking your local holistic clinic for health advice regarding stress management, wellness, and health. Medical advice and holistic health advice often go hand in hand and the best approach is usually a mixture of the two.
GingerAnn

Return to Injury Prevention and Support Forum