TENS/EMS machine

For injury and health related discussion and support only. Please note that this is not a substitute for seeing a health care professional.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

TENS/EMS machine

Postby hardcore iv » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:49 pm

I picked up one of these from lidl for £20 a couple of weeks ago. Has a 3 year warranty so thought it was worth the risk. Does anybody use one? I've used it mainly on my shoulders and upper back on its massage settings. Feels pretty good. Don't know if it is actually aiding recovery or anything?
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Re: TENS/EMS machine

Postby Dr.Galactus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:01 am

I'd hate to destroy any placebo effect you're receiving but;
http://www.quackometer.net/blog/2010/02 ... ork-2.html
however, if it feels good and you find it relaxing crack on :)
Dr.Galactus

Postby fredrikw » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:06 am

That link discusses the use of TENS for pregnant women, I'm quite sure that's not the aim for hardcore iv. When it comes to pain management it's not really relevant speaking of what's placebo or not, since the experience of pain is quite complex. Adding something that feels good can be much more effective than something that has shown to be clinically good against the same pain.

The use of electric muscle stimulators is well documented for rehab and recovery, and is widely used by medical professionals. I think dismissing it as quackery requires a bit more than the above :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby ninearms » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:35 am

Here's a good article on EMS by Charlie Francis.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... ut_ems&cr=
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Dr.Galactus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:29 am

[quote="fredrikw"]That link discusses the use of TENS for pregnant women, I'm quite sure that's not the aim for hardcore iv. When it comes to pain management it's not really relevant speaking of what's placebo or not, since the experience of pain is quite complex.
In this context the principal is the same

[quote="fredrikw"]The use of electric muscle stimulators is well documented for rehab and recovery, and is widely used by medical professionals. I think dismissing it as quackery requires a bit more than the above :)

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NE ... 6073222303[quote]After one month no clinically or statistically significant treatment effect of TENS was found on any of 11 indicators of outcome measuring pain, function, and back flexion; there was no interactive effect of TENS with exercise.

however (as always) there are papers in its favour, with caveats http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10 ... 5c20b69efb[quote]TENS and AL-TENS are shown to be effective in pain control over placebo in this review. Heterogeneity of the included studies
was observed, which might be due to the different study designs and outcomes used. More well designed studies with a standardized
protocol and adequate numbers of participants are needed to conclude the effectiveness of TENS in the treatment of OA of the knee.

The problem is studies of this type cannot be randomized controlled trials
http://bja.oxfordjournals.org/content/77/6/798.short

Also, something being widely used by medical professionals is not an endorsement, (many of them smoke :P) there are GPs who will refer your for chiropractic or homeopathy both of which are quackery of the highest order.

[quote="ninearms"]Here's a good article on EMS by Charlie Francis.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... ut_ems&cr=

TENS (Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) has a different target to EMS (Electrical muscle stimulation) the former being a pain relief technique the latter being for people who are too lazy to do situps :)
Dr.Galactus

Postby hardcore iv » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:01 am

I've only used the TENS feature once out of curiosity. I only got it for the EMS feature. My interest was piqued by the video Baldy posted a few weeks ago about using muscle stimulation around an injured area to improve lymphatic drainage and increasing blood flow. Mainly using it for the massage like effect on my dodgy shoulders.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby RyanW » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:33 am

Greetings.
The article is not relevant to the original topic of this tread. TENS is 100% contraindicated for pregnancy. There is a significantly different physiology happening during pregnancy. I work in a physical therapy clinic and frequently use TENS and EMS on my patients. Some of my patients have minimal healing results and others have fantastic results. For example, I have been using EMS on a patient of mine with anterior tibialis nerve palsy. It is difficult for me to say it is quackery when I have seen the miraculous with my own eyes. My patient began seeing me about 2 weeks ago and hasn't had the ability to move her toes for 6 months. She started having movement back in her toes this past week after 4 sessions of EMS. Should I assume it was a placebo effect that enabled her neurotransmitters to pass the neuromuscular junction and enable her muscle to fire? If it was placebo, it seems to reason her nerve palsy was psychosomatic and she needs mental therapy instead of physical therapy. In most cases, TENS and EMS are simply for pain relief and do not facilitate dynamic healing of this type within the body. The body perceives the TENS/EMS as 'pain' and releases endorphins to the region. Most of my TENS patients report significant pain reduction and greater ability to function due to the reduced pain. With that said, it does not work for everyone...but neither does penicillin. I suggest using the TENS on a trial basis. If it brings you relief, continue to use it.

Cheers.
Ryan
"If you are not giving your best to this world, which world are you saving it for?" unknown author
RyanW

Return to Injury Prevention and Support Forum