Hip misalignment

For injury and health related discussion and support only. Please note that this is not a substitute for seeing a health care professional.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Hip misalignment

Postby sergio » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:32 pm

Hard to explain with my shitty english, but I'll try

I don't know if its because of a shorter leg (special medical procedure needed to check this properly), psoas shortening, whatever, but something is wrong with my hip. I saw a physio and he told me it was misaligned and I'm pretty sure my knee problems are related to this. It's causing me troubles while running but also undermining my squat progress. Damn, I feel like I'm squatting with one leg, it's like the left one doesn't pull. I've seen a couple of corrective exercises that I'm going to introduce, but I feel lost. Physios are quite expensive and I'm going through sort of a trial-and-error shit at the moment.

Not fan of consulting injuries on line but does anyone has some useful advice? Any stretches or exercises?. Everything will be welcome, specially is someone has o had similar problems.
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Re: Hip misalignment

Postby sergio » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:37 pm

I've been doing this stretch a lot lately:

When pushing left leg it's like the half of mobility comparing to the other. It feels really weird!
sergio

Postby RyanW » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:25 pm

A simple cloth tape measure and a partner can measure your leg length. Place the start of the tape measure on the bony protuberance on the front of the hip. Extend the tape measure to the bony protuberance on the inside of the ankle. Do the same on the other side. Be sure to measure from the same point to the same point on both legs. If the discrepancy is more than 1/2 inch (1.25cm) or so, you may want to think about a heel insert in the shorter leg's shoe. Some people like them. Some don't. In the US, they only cost about $4-5 dollars. I think it would be worth spending the money to at least try it if you have a significant discrepancy. Worst case scenario, you're out a little money...about the cost of a sandwich. Best case...it works.
"If you are not giving your best to this world, which world are you saving it for?" unknown author
RyanW

Postby sergio » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:36 am

Ey, thanks for replying.

I was told that this method could easily lead to mistake and it wasn't reliable at all (no further explanation); so a telemetry was needed to check the bone length properly. I'll do it anyway, it could shed some light. I have a couple of soles for heel with arch support, maybe this things are really helpful when customized (specially for running issues, I guess)
sergio

Return to Injury Prevention and Support Forum