[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
• View topic - Superfeet inner soles and arch support in general

Superfeet inner soles and arch support in general

For injury and health related discussion and support only. Please note that this is not a substitute for seeing a health care professional.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Superfeet inner soles and arch support in general

Postby baldy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:49 am

My physio suggested I get some of these inner soles, blue medium support. I have very low arches and my lifting shoes have little arch support.
Theory being that these inner soles would at the least move some the pressure in my knee around.

Interested to hear peoples ideas on inner soles and arch support. From a barefoot running perspective its probably a hot debate?

My feet are pretty flat, I guess from grew up and even now wear shoes as little as possible. Never really ever been and issue.

Cool video showing how the inner soles support the arch. You can imagine when you load up in a squat how this would work.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jjdTGuGanw[/youtube]
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Re: Superfeet inner soles and arch support in general

Postby JS » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:02 pm

The only experience I had of superfeet was a bad one but I think it was the way I was sold them. A mate bought some and got fitted in the shop. She had to go a size larger and cut them down based on the position of her arch. When I got mine I asked if I would need to be fitted they said no - result was painful feet....not to sure that helps you :)
JS

Postby RyanW » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:56 am

I am not familiar with the Superfeet brand, but I work in a physical therapy clinic (physio) and am an advocate of inserts in most cases. The video did not impress upon me something unique to this insert versus other quality inserts. It looks like a good product though. The alignment of the entire body begins at the contact made between the feet and earth. The body will do what it needs to stay in balance. When the feet pronate (collapse inward due to low arches), the Q angle of the femur changes and creates a slightly knock-kneed position stressing and increasing pressure in the knees. When you do a squat, you want to keep the knees out. You will probably find arch support very helpful when doing squats because you will not have to fire the ITB and TFL with the same intensity to hold the knees in an outward position. Don't get me wrong, they will still be firing but they will have help. It is very reasonable to expect a mild to moderate form improvement which ultimately leads to less pressure on the knees and greater alignment of everything else. When the body is aligned properly, there is greater flow of energy through the explosive movement of a squat, daily activities and everything in between. I recommend you try the inserts for a few weeks realizing they will probably feel very odd at first since you won't be used to them. Hope that helps.
"If you are not giving your best to this world, which world are you saving it for?" unknown author
RyanW

Postby baldy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:21 am

Thanks for reply RyanW, I never really thought of my low arches as an issue, in fact thought they where good because I had good strong feet from walking barefoot.
From further reading the opposite seems true, collapsed arches are actually a weakness, so something I should correct.
Regarding my my knees when I squat, my squat form is pretty good, knees definitely do not collapse in, but I tend to come onto my toes for some as of yet unknown reason. So will be interested to see if this changes when I start squatting in a months time with arch support.

Nothing special about superfeet, just seem like a decent quality insole and cheaper than getting custom ones made up.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby ninearms » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:51 am

I just watched the video. The foot on the left is functioning normally!
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Linnéa76 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:20 am

I've had good experiences with insoles and shoes with arch support for problems with foot tendons.
I suppose it could work for the knees too, don't a lot of people have "functional" problems with knees,
hips etc originating from the feet? I can really recommend these shoes: http://www.anystyleshoes.info/kalso-ear ... -8354.html
Vegan, eco friendly, the comfiest shoes I've ever tried! They're so light it's like briefs for the feet. :)
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby xrodolfox » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:26 pm

I have extremely flat feet.

I used to wear no insole with conventional shoes. That led to excruciating knee and back pain. As a result, I avoided running in all cases. This: I'm a swimmer.

Then I finally got insoles for my soccer shoes. It changed my life. I could run, and run well. I added them to my conventional shoes, and a lot of my knee pain and back pain from standing dissipated. But I still could hardly run.

Then I discovered Chi Running and changing my run form. Instead trying to land flat, I realized I feel more comfy running on the outside of my feet and rolling inwards. Then I began trying minimalist shoes.

That did the trick. Afternoons of acclimation, I find I prefer minimalist shoes above all else. I can stand longer. There's less pain. In more comfy. I can run better and work better. Second to that are highly supported conventional shoes.

So get arch support if you are lifting, but I love minimalist running. It really works best for me with my incredibly flat feet.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Return to Injury Prevention and Support Forum