Sharp pain in neck when doing chinups

For injury and health related discussion and support only. Please note that this is not a substitute for seeing a health care professional.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Sharp pain in neck when doing chinups

Postby muchluv » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:57 pm

I've just been to the gym, before hand i did some kneeling ab wheel rollouts, went to the gym did some assited dips, and assisted pullups. Then I did some chinups, and on the second or third set I got a sharp pain in the neckbone area. I stopped, assisted pullups caused the pain again in the same area. Tried some dumbell bench press but that caused a weird sensation too so I just left.

Any idea what it is I have done and how to avoid it in the future?
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Re: Sharp pain in neck when doing chinups

Postby XindestructibleX » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:55 pm

[quote="muchluv"]I've just been to the gym, before hand i did some kneeling ab wheel rollouts, went to the gym did some assited dips, and assisted pullups. Then I did some chinups, and on the second or third set I got a sharp pain in the neckbone area. I stopped, assisted pullups caused the pain again in the same area. Tried some dumbell bench press but that caused a weird sensation too so I just left.

Any idea what it is I have done and how to avoid it in the future?

Might have been the ab wheel, it's a great tool and/but may cause tension unexpectedly. I somehow got strained without noticing first time I tried, resulting in one of the most long term Funny pain feelings I ever had.
INDESTRUCTIBLE
XindestructibleX

Re: Sharp pain in neck when doing chinups

Postby Linnéa76 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:19 am

Sounds like this was the first time, but if it happens again you may have some muscular imbalance similar to what I
used to have (according to a naprapath). For me, exercises to strengthen the deeper neck/upper back muscles have helped,
in combination with trying to keep very strict form on pull ups and press. The theory is that if the core neck muscles are weak,
movements sometimes get a bit uncontrolled and other muscles then have to compensate which can make them very tense and cause pain.
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Return to Injury Prevention and Support Forum