Patella Tendonitis Osgood Schlatter

For injury and health related discussion and support only. Please note that this is not a substitute for seeing a health care professional.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Patella Tendonitis Osgood Schlatter

Postby baldy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:41 am

Just got back from the physio, she was not particularly impressed.
It looks like on my left knee the Patella Tendonitis has been pull at the bone and causing a lump like "Osgood Schlatter" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osgood%E2% ... er_disease
This lump will never go away, I am scared for life!

It is possible that this lump has been there since I was a kid, but as I was a totally lazy teenager and did no sport at all I doubt it. Also this is my lead jerk foot and the problem started about 6 months ago.

Pretty much what I expected from the physio though, hamstrings and quads are too tight need to stretch them out as much as possible. Stop doing the exercises that hurt, strap and ice knee. Also a couple of ultra sound sessions, to work some magic.

We are going to look at my oly shoes and see if we can tweak the insole to move the pressure in my knee.

Fairly depressing, but not the end of the world. Has anyone got any experience with this?

I am not really sure if it is from squats or jerk that is the issue, probably both as it is an over use type of injury.
Anyone have any experience with this?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Re: Patella Tendonitis Osgood Schlatter

Postby JP » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:53 am

changing to power jerks would be the same stress? or changing the lead leg?

i worry about seeing a guru like that, i bet i am good for junkyard :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:21 am

[quote="JP"]changing to power jerks would be the same stress? or changing the lead leg?

i worry about seeing a guru like that, i bet i am good for junkyard :D

To be honest I am not sure what to change. It is an over use injury I think more than I stress injury. So cutting back the volume might be the solution.
So yeah I will play with power variations and also change my lead leg. My hero Jessica Ennis changed her jumping foot dont see why I cant change my jerk foot.

Good thing about seeing the guru, they totally tested my knee out and its 100% fine, so I have not done any permanent damage. If they had told me I would not be able to run again I would be heart broken. Just need to let the patella have a break and heal properly back to the bone (from my understanding).
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Linnéa76 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:29 pm

Sending healing vibes to your knee tendon thing!

Didn't you use to do yoga? If you need to stretch out hams/quads, wouldn't stuff
like sun salutations be more enjoyable than regular stretching?
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby baldy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:45 am

[quote="Linnéa76"]Sending healing vibes to your knee tendon thing!

Didn't you use to do yoga? If you need to stretch out hams/quads, wouldn't stuff
like sun salutations be more enjoyable than regular stretching?

I did yoga and never really found it helped much, same with Aikido. Olympic lifting has dramatically improved some of my flexibility, but clearly not enough.
To stretch my quads and hamstrings I have a mixed of static and dynamic stretches that I am going to be doing. Kind of a shotgun approach one of them will have to work :)
Plus foam roll and get more regular sports massages.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:13 am

So feedback of phase 1 of rehab.
Flexibility dramatically improved.
Rested from squats, lump went down on my knee and no pain for about 6 weeks.

Eased back into full squats, after first session of drop snatches the pain and swelling came back :(
Onwards to phase 2 of rehab.

3 day course of ibuprofen to get the swelling and pain down. Then onto eccentric squats/leg press, with vibration plate "therapy".
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2971642/
http://bjsportmed.com/content/38/4/395.full
baldy
Site Admin

Return to Injury Prevention and Support Forum