update on my tendonitis

For injury and health related discussion and support only. Please note that this is not a substitute for seeing a health care professional.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby V VII Hero » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:56 pm

yeh i meant my patella tendons, not my knee joints. my bad.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby Heyutang » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:59 pm

Buddy,

always stretch up to your pain limit. But stretching really helps with the microtraumata. They help pull the fibers in line and prevents them from sticking together (which is what they do when they are inflamed).

I only know some Dao Yin Yoga, never did Indian Yoga. Try knee-heel seating, then just go lie down (on your back) slowly while your knees and feet stay on the ground. Understand what I mean. You could increase the stretch by changing to W-seat (sit in between your feet while your knees are on the floor, if you can), and then go lie down on your back like in the previous exercise.

No, you don't need to see some doctor; all they do is inject you with crap. Avoid those things at all cost. They just weaken you. Yes you will feel no more pain but it takes away much more than just pain.

What do you mean, your knee pops? A patellatendon does not pop like that? Do you mean your patella is subluxating or what (that hurts!!! but not anymore if it became habitual. Is that the case with you?)
Heyutang

Postby V VII Hero » Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:30 am

Heyutang wrote:Buddy,

always stretch up to your pain limit. But stretching really helps with the microtraumata. They help pull the fibers in line and prevents them from sticking together (which is what they do when they are inflamed).

I only know some Dao Yin Yoga, never did Indian Yoga. Try knee-heel seating, then just go lie down (on your back) slowly while your knees and feet stay on the ground. Understand what I mean. You could increase the stretch by changing to W-seat (sit in between your feet while your knees are on the floor, if you can), and then go lie down on your back like in the previous exercise.

No, you don't need to see some doctor; all they do is inject you with crap. Avoid those things at all cost. They just weaken you. Yes you will feel no more pain but it takes away much more than just pain.

What do you mean, your knee pops? A patellatendon does not pop like that? Do you mean your patella is subluxating or what (that hurts!!! but not anymore if it became habitual. Is that the case with you?)

my knees feel really tight and are inflamed. when i try to extend to a full range of motion, or when i walk, they "crack". they are becoming weaker and feel just like my arms did. my elbows constantly became dislocated due to the tendon pulling on it. so i imagine the same thing is happening to my knees. so subluxating I guess you'd call it . sorry im fairly new to all these terms. it does ache slightly, but it is not a lot of pain. however, I also have a high tolerance.
V VII Hero

Postby J » Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:51 am

Heyutang I believe Hero spent 8 hours a day painting for at least a few months. I'm not a toxicologist but I really don't think this is just "overuse" or bad diet stuff. Hero's a 20 something vegan.
J

Postby Heyutang » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:35 am

J, I don't know about any inhaled toxins that cause multiple tendinitis. He did however indicate working 8 to 12 hrs and lifting heavily every day. I'd still think that's overtraining. Of course I can't be 100% sure but it certainly points in that direction.
Heyutang

Postby J » Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:28 am

Hero doesn't have a training log so I have no idea about overtraining. Certainly didn't sound like it from this thread.
J

Postby Heyutang » Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:57 am

J, you might have missed this post by Hero a little earlier in this thread?
i am big on well ventilation. my dad got chemical poisoning on the job, and has been on disability ever since (15 years+). plus i am straightedge. i make sure to never inhale fumes. so we rule out the overexposure to painting. no one is too young to have an overuse injury. I have been through many injuries that I was "too young" for. (hernias, "borderline glaucoma", etc.)

I rode my bicycle everyday 12-24+ miles, I also lifted for legs constantly (remember my squats everyday). imagine standing on a ladder 3 stories up, balancing on one leg leaning hand over your head, holding a paint can in one arm extended out, and the other hand painting. now do this for 5 hours straight without a break. I worked 8-12 hours everyday. and even on my days off. i simply overused my arms and legs. then I lifted at the gym everyday after work. and even at home.since my arms were screwed up, i decided to lift for legs. but i only focused on calves (since they were underdeveloped), i didnt work on quads. and all that muscle/tendon pulling in one direction obviously did some damage. I also hxc dance like crazy. so imagine tons of spinkicks and jumps, hitting stuff with my arms. its like aerobics X 1000.

I know what the problem is, it was overuse, and not having a balance between rest and activity, and one muscle group and its reciprocal.

I have stopped painting and my arms are getting better. soft tissue injuries like this take 6-8 weeks to heal minimally.

so it takes time and patience. nothing is seriously wrong.
Heyutang

Postby J » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:01 am

I"m very sorry I did miss that post. That just might be overtraining.
J

Postby V VII Hero » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:23 pm

today I started physical therapy for my epicondylitis. I'm past the acute stage, so its all strengthening from here on out. I just have to start slowly.

also im getting PT for my knees.

I'm going 3 times a week to PT. hopefully I will see some improvements. :D
V VII Hero

Postby Heyutang » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:42 am

most definitely you will see some improvements. Keep your diet alkalic so the inflammation has less chance to prolific.

All the best!
Heyutang

Postby V VII Hero » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:40 am

Heyutang wrote:most definitely you will see some improvements. Keep your diet alkalic so the inflammation has less chance to prolific.

All the best!

thanks mate. I'm trying to eat a lot of green vegetables. what else should I be eating?
V VII Hero

Postby Heyutang » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:19 am

Sprouts. And salads, more fruits. Basically light foods. Sprouts are very alkalic; they are your best bet. East your salads wotk cooked grains. For example: make a salad with brown rice, or quinoa, stuff like that.
Keep your EFA intake high!
Heyutang

Postby Mary » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:32 am

Quinoa is great for protien, glad to hear you can eat tonnes of that!
Mary

Postby V VII Hero » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:31 am

so ive been going to PT, and Im slowly gaining my strength back.
the only problem is that my tendons are still shortened.

whenever i bend me knee past a 90 degree angle (heel towards hamstrings), right above my knee cap it "pops" on the lateral side.

I also still have the "popping" of my epicondyle in my arm, when i try to add weight and go through its range of motion. (90 degree angle, etc)

does anyone know if this will go away after a while? is this due to the tendon shortening itself or something? if i continue stretching will it eventually have enough flexibility in it so that it wont "pop"?

and if anyone has had tendonitis please post a reply in here and let me know how you got over, how long it took, etc.
V VII Hero

Postby Heyutang » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:47 am

the only problem is that my tendons are still shortened
is this what your PT said? Or is it your obervation?
whenever i bend me knee past a 90 degree angle (heel towards hamstrings), right above my knee cap it "pops" on the lateral side.
Hard for me to tell what it is with certainty. You should ask your PT about this. If it is your patella (I doubt that), that's more serious. I think however it is your tendon fascia latae that "pops" over your caput fibulae (the fibula head, at the lateral side of your knee). This is nothing to really worry about. Does it hurt? But ask your PT, I can't see your knee from here.
I also still have the "popping" of my epicondyle in my arm, when i try to add weight and go through its range of motion. (90 degree angle, etc)
not sure what movement you are describing here. Flexion of the arm? Or supination/pronation of the forearm. Ask your PT what exactly is popping.
If your joints are really lax, all you can do is proprioceptive training to train the tendons and ligaments in the area to help make up for the increase joint movement.

I have had supraspinatus tendinitis from lifting (10 yrs ago)
and jumper's knee (patella tendinitis) from running.
I took care of it by stretching and deep transverse friction. And relative rest. However, it never came as far as your case. Always rest more when you feel something is wrong. Tendinitis is caused by overtraining anyway, so relative rest wil only do you good.[/i]
Heyutang

PreviousNext

Return to Injury Prevention and Support Forum