update on my tendonitis

For injury and health related discussion and support only. Please note that this is not a substitute for seeing a health care professional.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

update on my tendonitis

Postby V VII Hero » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:17 pm

my elbows are slowly getting better. my body prioritized what to heal first.
and I noticed now that my knees are slighlty imflamed and forming the same symptoms as my arms did. so a few more weeks and my elbows should be good to start rehabilitation. and my knees as well. yay.
its a long process but im patient.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby Malcolms Billy » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:27 pm

Hang in there Hero! You know you'll be alright in the end :D :) 8)

Best wishes,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Postby JP » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:29 pm

Good to hear hero.

Have you done any dietary tweaks to help in recovery? And take supplements like MSM?

All the best and speedy recovery!
JP
Site Admin

Postby Mary » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:39 pm

Nice to have you back again, and to hear that you stay positive. You have been missed around the board.
Mary

Postby Heyutang » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:57 am

Alright that's good. Keep stretching, and eat more alkalic food!
Heyutang

Postby V VII Hero » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:53 pm

JP wrote:Good to hear hero.

Have you done any dietary tweaks to help in recovery? And take supplements like MSM?

All the best and speedy recovery!

yep I found vegan MSM and have been taking that.
also, I just picked up a multivitamin, and a bromelain supplement.
I'm also eating pineapples like theyre going out of style. I'm resting like crazy.

any other suggestions?

I'm still eating the same, which is good but kinda bad in a way, cause I am maintaining most mass (besides my atrophied arms), but I'm gaining fat.
and with my knees being screwed up I can't do aerobics.

I'm holding it together. :)

I'm gonna take some pics once I am fully healed, so everyone can see what I have to work with again. like a "before" pic. so that way when i take new pics, it will show a significant difference. :D
V VII Hero

Postby V VII Hero » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:00 pm

Heyutang wrote:Alright that's good. Keep stretching, and eat more alkalic food!

what are alkalic foods? could you please list some? I'll give it a shot. :D
V VII Hero

Postby Heyutang » Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:41 am

Tendinitis and other inflammations occur when the body is acidic. The body turns acidic when acidic foods are eaten (like meat, coffee etc) and also with stress (any kind, including overtraining).
Eating more alkalic food- the opposite of acidic- will help restore the pH balance in the body.
Alkalic foods in TCM are mainly more cooling foods. It means eating light. Meaning more lightly cooked foods and more salads, more water (but don't drink too much as well). Go easy on concentrated foods like protein isolates and protein bars etc. They are also acidic. Just take it easy for a while.
Also, don't worry about a thin layer of fat; you will lose it soon enough once you go back to training. When you do that, build up slowly, but you know that already.

The alkalic food will help to take the inflammation away at cell level.

Take care!
Heyutang

Postby J » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:58 am

noticed now that my knees are slighlty imflamed and forming the same symptoms as my arms did.
You know it really sounds like something's seriously wrong here. Do you know why this is happening? I don't think it will stop unless you find out what the problem is. If it's in both your elbows and knees it probably isn't exercise related. And also I think you're too young to be having these sorts of problems.

Could you have been overexposed to some chemical while painting???
J

Postby V VII Hero » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:07 am

thanks buddy. :D

so my meals shouldnt consist of cereal, bagels and stuff like that?

it should be more like salads, vegetable platters, fruits, etc?

yeh im not worried about the fat. its gonna go byebye once i am back to training. hehe.
V VII Hero

Postby Heyutang » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:27 am

hi buddy :D :D

No grains and cereal are OK, but cook them well, this makes them alkalic. Bread is more acidic though, esp sourdough bread. I forgot to mention that sprouts are also very alkalic, you might want to eat more of those.

Fruits are very good for snacks, just don't eat too much of them, as with everything.

I believe I have also mentioned UDO's oil (or other EFA-oil) in an earlier post, this helps combat inflammation and speeds recovery (also on cellular level).

I don't think the fact that your knees are also inflamed is of great importance now. It just shows that your body was in an inflammatory state already, and it now also spread to your knees. Stretch'em! Probably your patella tendon is inflamed?

If it really persists, go see some therapist: they will be able to help. Btw elbows and knees often show some similarities in Chinese Medicine. Often we would stick a needle in the knee to treat an elbow problem, and vice versa!
Heyutang

Postby J » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:41 am

LOL. You missed my post above guys. I have some serious doubts that a 20 something just needs to change his diet when all his joints become inflammed. I wonder if something more serious is going on.
J

Postby Heyutang » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:13 am

J, I didn't miss your post. Hero had 2 tendinitis problems, not joint problems. He added now that his knees got problems as well, I think he means his patella tendons are inflamed, not his knee joints. That is a big difference. But let's ask our buddy himself:

where does it hurt man :D ?

If his joints would be inflamed, that's a whole other story. That would be a systemic disease like Rheumatoid Arthritis or so. Several tendinitis problem at the same time is not so uncommon though. In Chinese Medicine this is called "Liver not nourishing tendons". There is a master points that treats these kind of problems (but other points must be added as well).
Location of the point is here
and explanation of the point here, GB 34.
One could press and kneed this point for 10 minutes per day, to help with tendinitis.
Heyutang

Postby V VII Hero » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:44 pm

J wrote:noticed now that my knees are slighlty imflamed and forming the same symptoms as my arms did.
You know it really sounds like something's seriously wrong here. Do you know why this is happening? I don't think it will stop unless you find out what the problem is. If it's in both your elbows and knees it probably isn't exercise related. And also I think you're too young to be having these sorts of problems.

Could you have been overexposed to some chemical while painting???

i am big on well ventilation. my dad got chemical poisoning on the job, and has been on disability ever since (15 years+). plus i am straightedge. i make sure to never inhale fumes. so we rule out the overexposure to painting. no one is too young to have an overuse injury. I have been through many injuries that I was "too young" for. (hernias, "borderline glaucoma", etc.)

I rode my bicycle everyday 12-24+ miles, I also lifted for legs constantly (remember my squats everyday). imagine standing on a ladder 3 stories up, balancing on one leg leaning hand over your head, holding a paint can in one arm extended out, and the other hand painting. now do this for 5 hours straight without a break. I worked 8-12 hours everyday. and even on my days off. i simply overused my arms and legs. then I lifted at the gym everyday after work. and even at home.since my arms were screwed up, i decided to lift for legs. but i only focused on calves (since they were underdeveloped), i didnt work on quads. and all that muscle/tendon pulling in one direction obviously did some damage. I also hxc dance like crazy. so imagine tons of spinkicks and jumps, hitting stuff with my arms. its like aerobics X 1000.

I know what the problem is, it was overuse, and not having a balance between rest and activity, and one muscle group and its reciprocal.

I have stopped painting and my arms are getting better. soft tissue injuries like this take 6-8 weeks to heal minimally.

so it takes time and patience. nothing is seriously wrong.
V VII Hero

Postby V VII Hero » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:54 pm

Heyutang wrote:hi buddy :D :D

No grains and cereal are OK, but cook them well, this makes them alkalic. Bread is more acidic though, esp sourdough bread. I forgot to mention that sprouts are also very alkalic, you might want to eat more of those.

Fruits are very good for snacks, just don't eat too much of them, as with everything.

I believe I have also mentioned UDO's oil (or other EFA-oil) in an earlier post, this helps combat inflammation and speeds recovery (also on cellular level).

I don't think the fact that your knees are also inflamed is of great importance now. It just shows that your body was in an inflammatory state already, and it now also spread to your knees. Stretch'em! Probably your patella tendon is inflamed?

If it really persists, go see some therapist: they will be able to help. Btw elbows and knees often show some similarities in Chinese Medicine. Often we would stick a needle in the knee to treat an elbow problem, and vice versa!

yes my patella tendon is inflamed.

my left knee keeps popping out medially, and my right knee laterally. I stretch em when i wake up and when i go to bed. if my knees are inflamed due to microtears in the tendon, wont stretching this early in the game aggravate it?

do you know of any yoga asanas that are good for this?

I go to a chiropractor. she is amazing. reiki and everything.
I would go to a doctor who specializes in injuries like this, but they would just inject me with cortisone. that's how doctors are around here. I wont allow them to shove a steroid in me, one is not edge, 2 its not vegan, 3 it will weaken me even more. good old fashion rest, stretching, and diet for me. :D
V VII Hero

Next

Return to Injury Prevention and Support Forum