Broken neck. Lucky to be alive and not paralyzed. Alone?

For injury and health related discussion and support only. Please note that this is not a substitute for seeing a health care professional.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Broken neck. Lucky to be alive and not paralyzed. Alone?

Postby RxQueen » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:09 am

I broke my neck in a car accident 3 weeks ago. I was fortunate enough to not be paralyzed, but I am in a collar for 10 weeks. Before my accident I was very active- I was in the gym 5 days a week for 2 hours a day and I was an equestrian; riding and training at least 4 days a week. I can't do any of these things for about 3 months and I'm running out of ways to keep myself occupied and happy. Has anyone else gone through something similar?
RxQueen

Postby JP » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:59 am

wow, thats hardcore! Good to hear you escaped the worst case scenario...

Sorry, not much advice from here. Are you seeing a physio?
JP
Site Admin

Postby wannalift » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:52 pm

wow, thank goodness you will be okay my cousin broke his neck in a car accident years ago. he wasn't paralyzed either, but he was in a halo for a few months and it pretty much affected him for the rest of his life.

training should be the absolute least of your worries right now. be thankful that you will at least be able to train in the future. until then, find something else you like. read, meditate, learn a foreign language, etc. i like puzzle books myself, so maybe buy one of those and exercise your brain. good luck.
Are you doing enough to be the best?
wannalift

Postby SpugFab » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:57 pm

Sounds terrible, glad you are ok.

A bit like wannalift's advice, I have a fallback activity when I get injured - I play chess. I figure I'd have to be pretty badly injured before the chess wouldn't be an option.

It fulfils many of the things I enjoy from sport, the competition, training, improving.
SpugFab

Postby moggy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:02 pm

Take care- you are so lucky- my horse broke his next 3 years ago and was equally lucky. A few boring recovery months is nothing compared to a life paralized.

You'll just have to become one of vf's most prolific posters! :D

I used to play chess-good game for the brain- I wish more kids played it these days.
moggy

Postby Marty » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:21 pm

Wow that is awful, hope you make full recovery. Here I was feeling sorry for myself, but your injury puts mine into perspective.

As for what to do, video games can while away the time, like the whole day if you arent careful >.> <.<! I know plenty of girls irl who play prolly more than I do (which is a lot lol)

Or how about learning a language? At least you can say youve done something with your time off then.
Marty

Postby Konstantin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:36 pm

Wow - what a terrible accident. But a relief that you escaped the paralysis. You can't rush recovery, I can't say I've been where you are but I hope you can make use of the time. Are there books, films, studies etc. you've never found the time for? Maybe something new to learn? Another vote for chess, facebook has a good application and you can play several games at once.

Hope you get well soon.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby emm7 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:49 pm

just wanted to say thank god you're not paralysed and am really happy to hear that!
If it were me I'd be reading loads of books, if reading hurts your neck you can get books on tape to listen to as well.
I think the idea of learning a language is a good one too.
Also there are a lot of great films out there to watch, arthouse and indie as well as Hollywood.
If you're allowed to go for walks then a long walk on the beach or in the countryside is fantastic.
emm7

Postby seventysixjen » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:36 am

I trained through a broken jaw this summer but found out the hard way that putting more stress on your body when it is healing makes you heal slower. Be easy - don't rush yourself. My injury was no where near as serious, and didn't involve my spinal column, but I started taking short walks as soon as I could. Your doctor should have some suggestions if there is anything you can do. If not - listen to her/him. You use a lot of extra energy while you are healing, too, so make sure you are still eating enough!

Thank goodness you are ok!
"Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades."
"Risk big - win big."
seventysixjen

Postby draco880 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:56 pm

I'm sure you hate people telling you to take it easy, but spines are treacherous. I'd give that a lot of time off.
draco880

Postby Muay Jin » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:35 pm

Hope you have a quick recovery, I like reading but i'm usually very busy, often injury is a blessing like that =)
There is no try, only do.
Muay Jin

Postby XkillerX » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:14 pm

no advice here, just wishes for a speedy recovery and a quick comeback! and remember, when you recover (AND YOU WILL), it will be scientific proof that you can beat anything life throws at you! walk tall!
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

it's been awhile since ive been on.....

Postby RxQueen » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:18 pm

You guys are awesome! I'm so lucky to have so much support! THe awesome news is- I'm recovering way quicker than i expected to. I got my hard collar off 4 weeks early and i'm two weeks away from going back to riding :D
i'm also going to pursue MMA fighting, with the blessing of my doctor of course
RxQueen

Postby ultra_whippet » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:07 pm

Great news :D
ultra_whippet

Postby emm7 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:11 pm

that's fantastic! bet you are very happy about that :D
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart