Skin infection treatment?

For injury and health related discussion and support only. Please note that this is not a substitute for seeing a health care professional.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Skin infection treatment?

Postby LWv1 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:27 pm

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for if there are any vegan/non-animal tested treatments for skin (fungal) infections? Any advice or pointers would be appreciated, the sooner I can treat this infection and be clear of it, the better! Thanks for reading, hope everyone enjoys the holiday period!
LWv1

Postby Phaedra » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:20 pm

Apple cider vinegar works wonders. You can just apply it undiluted directly to the affected area several times a day, and you should see (and feel) immediate improvement. It depends on the location and type of the fungus, it's very good for ringworm, certain types of dandruff & athletes foot, and is well-known for treating candida wherever it arises.
Peppermint, lavender, myrrh, rosemary, sage, thyme, ti tree, eucalyptus and citrus peel all have antifungal properties. Remember that essential oils can be fatally toxic if ingested and some can also burn skin if used in their pure form, dilute them with some olive oil before use and only use them topically.
Last edited by Phaedra on Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phaedra

Postby Gelert » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:08 pm

I'm not sure I'm aware of any "natural" therapy which is particularly effective against fungal infections. Some essential oils are very good for bacterial infections though, but in either case for skin infections please be careful as they can either irritate or aggravate skin rendered sensitive by the infection. Maybe as a research mycologist my perspective is skewed though, but I'd suggest seeing your doctor to assess the infection for treatement, and (s)he is more than likely to give you a course of topical azole drugs. It is worth seeing your doctor because (particularly persistent or acute) fungal infections can often be a sign of other illness.
Last edited by Gelert on Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gelert

Postby Talyn » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:10 pm

fungal infections - guess it depends on the type (and no don't tell us :) )
see a doctor if you have any concerns, you can always speak to the chemist about the ingredients in the particular products recommended if you have any concerns
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby chloee » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:12 am

yes, i def agree about the apple cider vinegar. It works for me, its also good for insect bites.
Chloee
YOGA
chloee

Return to Injury Prevention and Support Forum