persistent tight hamstring...

For injury and health related discussion and support only. Please note that this is not a substitute for seeing a health care professional.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

persistent tight hamstring...

Postby vegan hal » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:52 pm

hey all. so my left hamstring always feels tight. sometimes it also my left calf. I can stretch it over and over again, and it will loosen up a bit, but certain exercises or movements cause it to tighten right back up. I'm wondering if it's just an old injury that never properly healed.

for instance, if I do some HIIT jump rope, or run/jog it will tighten up. not from doing squats, BUT if I just squat down and hold the position to stretch my knees, it will tighten up. even just sitting while at work will cause it to tighten.

maybe some foam roller exercises? (I was just given one, which I love for my back)

any ideas?
vegan hal

Re: persistent tight hamstring...

Postby Rach » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:24 pm

Foam rolling sounds a possibility.How about inchworms?
Rach

Postby baldy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:37 pm

Foamrolling will not do any harm, so worth doing specially if you are already using it on your back. Nail your IT band, it always seems to give me the most relief for any soreness in my legs, probably cos it is so painful to roll.

Weird that is tightens up and just on one side, do you have an old injury on that side? We actually had a big chat about stretching the other week with our coach and some of the S&C MSc guys, they reckoned this article was solid.
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... hing_is_bs

It is nearly exactly how we stretch and warmup, worked very well for my hamstring flexibility.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby vegan hal » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:02 pm

thanks Baldy for the link. checking it out now.

yeah I think my hammy issue is an old basketball injury. but I've ALWAYS had tight hammys even as a kid.

been researching the IT band stuff. so I will start to add that too. it's no fun to roll it though. and last night i decided to hit the hot tub and get some jets on my hamstring and IT band. and was pretty amazed how sore it was and even my right side too (to lesser degree).

so we'll see. need to get smarter about my stretching and rolling and all. and more frequent hot tubbing.
vegan hal

Postby baldy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:54 pm

vegan hal wrote:been researching the IT band stuff. so I will start to add that too. it's no fun to roll it though.

It does get easier, but never will be fun, keep at it. You will learn to love the pain.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby JP » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:04 pm

I have the same with my left hammie. But mine is a tear so there is a persistent lump there.

If you can afford getting a deep tissue massage or sports massage they can maybe feel if there is a reason for it.

I just stretch, and take ibuprofen, and sometimes ice it after training.
JP
Site Admin

Return to Injury Prevention and Support Forum