Cutters Corner

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Cutters Corner

Postby pelicanAndrew » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:41 pm

Ok this sounds like a bad title but this is for all you vegans looking to drop a few pounds.

I'm starting today. No more BS carbs(although flour tortillas will be hard to cut out) No more french fries(fat and BS carbs). No more midnight snacks(5 bean burritos at midnight is only good for BULKING!!)

Way more raw foods. As much as i can eat without vomitting. More leafy dark greens. Way more nuts and seeds. Try and keep those down to a bare minimum because of fat intake. I'm not really worried about fat as much as I am BS carbs.

This summer i plan on trying a raw diet, and if i like it enough i'll stick with it for good!!!!
pelicanAndrew

Postby Thelesa » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:53 am

I'm with you on all of that.

There seems to be some validity in eliminating foods with high glycemic indexs such as carrots, beets, sorn, potatoes, etc. as well. Of course any type of sugar is out as well. Actually simply eliminating sugar and white flour ( as well as white rice) REALLY help in losing weight.

Personally, I find it much easier to just increase physical exercise but right now I'm working on doing it all.

Good luck, keep me updated on how it goes.
Thelesa

Postby pelicanAndrew » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:52 am

I think brown rice tastes way better anyway. Plus i have several lbs of it, but i lost my measuring cup. I'm livid. :evil:
pelicanAndrew

Postby chloe » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:44 am

i woulnt say that cutting out beets, corn or carrots is that good an idea, just cos they are high on the glyemic index.
I think how they benefit your health and add to the variaton of your diet is far more important.
Good luck with the cutting there andrew, do you have a specific goal? like you want to tone, or lose a certain amount of weight?
i also need to cut back on lot of the carbs im eating,.. eating em without justifying them with plenty of exercise!!
chloe

Postby xjohanx » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:58 pm

i'm joining in december. hardcore diet till christmas!
xjohanx

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:11 pm

[quote="chloe"]i woulnt say that cutting out beets, corn or carrots is that good an idea, just cos they are high on the glyemic index.
I think how they benefit your health and add to the variaton of your diet is far more important.

I totally agree. I think it's great to cut out those processed, nutritionally deficient "foods" like white flours, white rice, added sugars, etc. But I don't think it's good to cut out vegetables and fruits.

I'm not on a cutting diet on purpose, but I am greatly increasing my intake of fruits and raw veggies, to make my diet more healthy. I expect I will lose a little weight as a side effect.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby pelicanAndrew » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:07 pm

[quote="chloe"]i woulnt say that cutting out beets, corn or carrots is that good an idea, just cos they are high on the glyemic index.
Good luck with the cutting there andrew, do you have a specific goal? like you want to tone, or lose a certain amount of weight?
i also need to cut back on lot of the carbs im eating,.. eating em without justifying them with plenty of exercise!!

It's not weight really. I just want to cut fat. If i cut fat and gain muscle and gain a little weight i'll be fine. I could probably stand to lose about 20 lbs or so. We'll see where this goes. Hopefully thanksgiving doesn't ruin this. :lol:
pelicanAndrew

Postby demogirl06 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:27 pm

I've been on a raw diet for 6 days now. (Screwed up one of those days in a moment of weakness, but otherwise good). My goal was a raw 10-day challenge to see if I would notice any changes.

So far, no loss in weight...but the can be due to a number of other factors.

I feel lighter, fitter,and NEVER guilty after eating. I encourage everyone to try it... maybe AFTER thanksgiving for a detox. Ten days. You make your mind up after that. I'll let everyone know where I stand.
"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals. I am a vegetarian because I hate plants." ~ A. Whitney Brown

http://www.myvega.com/teamvega/ambassadors.asp?tid=28
demogirl06

Postby bronco » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:13 pm

[quote="FormicaLinoleum"][quote="chloe"]i woulnt say that cutting out beets, corn or carrots is that good an idea, just cos they are high on the glyemic index.

I totally agree. I think it's great to cut out those processed, nutritionally deficient "foods" like white flours, white rice, added sugars, etc. But I don't think it's good to cut out vegetables and fruits.

I also agree. From what I've heard recent studies that GI isnt as important as it's made out to be. I think the plan should be that if otherwise healthy food has a high GI, eat it.
[quote="JP"]Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby wannalift » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:03 pm

i'm one of those people who gets fat when they eat less. its terrible, my body doesn't want to hold onto muscle on a restricted calorie diet. for now on i'm going to eat reasonably and jump rope my way towards getting ripped. so far so good.
wannalift

Postby vegetus25 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:11 pm

I am not sold on the GI. According to the GI it is healthier to eat ice cream than a potato!

The GI tests were done on a small study group who ate one food at a time. When foods are combined the GI slows down. Fat and fiber are both good for dropping the GI of foods.

If you are worried about corn, potatoes, etc. being high on the GI just eat some fat w/ them and the GI will drop dramatically.

For good advice on eating (not vegan, but good overall advice) visit www.cbass.com

Veg
vegetus25

Postby fredrikw » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:26 pm

allright, let's keep things separate here. GI is not a diet, it's a measurement of how blood sugar levels are affected from different foods (a bit simplistic, I know, but roughly). there are however numerous diets that base their nutritional advice on GI. saying that you don't believe different specific diets is hopefully not the same thing as saying that you don't believe that glycemic index is what it is. any sensible nutrionist that talks about GI also mentions that it's insufficient to just talk about GI in isolation, you need to weigh in other factors such as glycemic load, fat and protein content, amount of calories etc.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Wobbly Lifter » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:04 pm

This thread is a disgrace and should be locked! Bulking Forever! :lol:
Better Living Through Chemistry
Wobbly Lifter

Postby fredrikw » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:17 pm

nah, you're just jealous. I think you're a closet cutter, trying your best to make friends with the bulking bullies of VF. just say no!
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby jemmyducks » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:03 pm

Well, I'm on the Cut cycle now, owing to an increase of European Fat around the midsection! I'm actually following Dr. Fuhrman's ("Eat to Live") program pretty closely, with 10% freedom for stuff like builder's bars... After a few days I already am feeling really good, and have great energy levels. I'm strength-training 3-4 times per week. I've also upped the cardio to 2+ times per day, which is easy since I commute on my bicycle anyway. The goal is to be fairly cut by the end of January. I'm guessing I have an easy 5-10 pounds of fat to lose, though of course want to minimize muscle loss.
Personal Trainer and Nutrition Coach
San Francisco, CA

Check out my Training Log:
http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20845&p=341210#p341210

If at first you fail, train, train again.
jemmyducks

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating