Are Figs Vegan?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Do you consider figs vegan?

Yes, vegans can eat figs.
96%
No, vegans shouldn't eat figs.
4%

Total votes : 57

Postby Fallen_Horse » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:19 pm

[quote="veganmonk"]I see it as being full of dead wasps, their reproductive fluids, and their egg embryo things - rather disgusting to me, and definitely contains things that are not considered vegan.

Perhaps we are too aware :shock:

Both of those statements are true. :)

"The syconium often has a bulbous shape with a small opening (the ostiole) at the outward end that allows access to pollinators. The flowers are pollinated by very small wasps that crawl through the opening in search of a suitable place to lay eggs. Without this pollinator service fig trees cannot reproduce by seed. In turn, the flowers provide a safe haven and nourishment for the next generation of wasps. Technically, a fig fruit proper would be one of the many tiny mature, seed-bearing flowers found inside one fig - if you cut open a fresh fig, the flowers will appear as fleshy "threads", each bearing a single seed inside.

Most figs come in two sexes: hermaphrodite and female. The former are called "inedible figs", caprifigs or Caprinae: in traditional Common Fig culture in the Mediterranean, they were considered food for goats (Capra aegagrus). In the female fig trees, the male flower parts fail to develop; they produce the "edible figs". Fig wasps grow in Common Fig caprifigs but not in the female syconiums because the female flower is too long for the wasp to successfully lay her eggs in them. Nonetheless, the wasp pollinates the flower with pollen from the fig it grew up in, so figs with developed seeds also contain dead fig wasps almost too tiny to see. Fig wasps are not known to transmit any diseases harmful to humans, and the high sugar content of dried figs renders them fairly sterile."
Fallen_Horse

Postby aliquis » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:54 am

I would consider the actual figs to still be vegan.

If they are insect free I have no idea, didn't know about this stuff.

They are needed for polination? So one doesn't spray some stuff on the figs to kill them so that non-ecological figs more or less are "vegan" when it comes to insect content? ;D

Also I consider it the fucking animals fault if it's within my food ;)

I have the same issue with raspberrys thought, they taste so good and are probably good for you but the occasional larvea finds their way into the bags of froozen raspberrys aswell :/

Regarding the poll: Up to the vegan, or human, eat whatever you like, not my problem.
aliquis

Postby aliquis » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:04 am

[quote="veganmonk"]lol LIB! Somebody get this man some nutritional yeast!

Watching this video is a good way to see this unique relationship and how it differs from other pollination:
http://www.figweb.org/Interaction/Video/index.htm

I personally see it as knowledeable consumption of dead wasps, and a product that is a known habitat for wasp larvae and breeding grounds, and therefore much different than say an apple.

Although, I suppose once they have left it, it is only the dead females and males left inside that we consume, but nonetheless, they are in there.
In any case I never ate figs as a child because I didn't liked them (or well, guess I tasted it.)

I started to eat them occasionally after reading "Vegansk näringslära på vetenskaplig grund" (Vegan nutrition on scientific bases) which mention figs as a good source for something, probably a mineral.

I still don't eat them so often because I'm still not very found of it and it's so damn sweet, but I have eaten quite a few bags, 20? Anyway I may not eat them then.. But I do eat raspberrys even thought I hate the occasional ohnonotagain-yelly-feeling in your smoothie, I spit it out and rinse with water and continue consuming the shake since it would be bad throwing it away ;D
aliquis

Postby aliquis » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:11 am

I have the same thoughts about algea, I would assume that they may have small animals living on/with them and an occasional snail or whatever. I still eat my kelp tabletts for iodine.

Also if it's the natural process for the wasps/figs I don't see the problem with it except if you think it's gross. I mean, if humans aren't "trapping" them within and it's just the occasional dead wasp or left over larvea, if it's their kind of life and some just happen to still be in the fig after it's plucked and dried why is the consumer doing anything wrong?
aliquis

Postby Fallen_Horse » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:17 am

[quote="Malcolms Billy"]Of course figs are vegan! Have you ever seen one eating a burger!?? :shock: :shock:

LOL
Fallen_Horse

Postby aliquis » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:18 am

[quote="veganmonk"]It also states that "The most delicious figs are wasp-pollinated and contain nutty fig seeds." and more than likely most sources would use wasp-pollinated figs, and that is what they sell themselves.

How do you feel about wasp pollinated figs?
I thought mine was most likely from turkey, but they do indeed have seeds in them, if the seeds are sterile or not I have no idea.
aliquis

Postby aliquis » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:20 am

[quote="veganmonk"]egg larvae & sexual secretions etc.. they don't just pollinate them like bees do flowers.... WATCH THE VIDEO!!!!! :shock:
WTF IS YOUR PROBLEM: SPERM AND JUICES ARE VEGAN!

Stop that sexual secretions shit ;D

Also I doubt a 2mm wasp cum like a whale.

http://www.anmm.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=177&c=208
mmm, whale penis lamp!
aliquis

Postby aliquis » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:58 am

[quote="Oak"]Also looking at the positive side of it....B12!!!! :P

The other thing is that it is a consequence of living so perhaps not really that relevent. Think when you drive your car, cut your grass, eat your fruit, go for a walk in the country side - these will affect incects. But it's something that I am not concerned about.

Oak :)
Do they really contain any B12 vitamine then? Isn't all B12 made by bacteria? I don't know if cows contain B12 due to their food (unrinsed vegetables) or due to the fact that they eat everything twice.

Anyway isn't uncleaned vegetables said to contain B12 aswell? Just rub your figs or apples onto the ground ;)
Or preferably into manor!
aliquis

Postby aliquis » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:01 pm

[quote="Frostfire"]:lol: When I was a kid eating "Fig Newtons" my older sisters told me the crunchy bits were dead wasp parts. I never thought there would be any truth to that! I thought it was just older sisters being older sisters :lol: (remember that Foxy?).
I would guess they are seeds, even if the figs contains wasps.
aliquis

Postby chloe » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:15 pm

oh no, this thread is turning people off of figs, personally i adore figs, consider them vegan and consider them a vital important componant of my (and 'the vegan' ) diet.
they are such an old lovely majestic fruit with a really cool history ( the word sycophant translates to mean 'bringer of the figs', cause they were so prized by the ancient greeks that they were a good bribery tool!).
im totally going to continue eating them, wasps or no wasps!
chloe

Postby soniczip » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:58 am

never saw a wasp inside a fig
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby Oak » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:03 pm

Yup for sure, most incects (and eggs, larvae etc) contain b12, they have their own.

Incect give b12 link

Eating enough wild fruits and plants we'd get all the b12 we'd need i'm sure. But we don't live like that, in any case where we are not getting a vitamin we are going to suffer from under-performance.

Due to incect contamination even commercial raspberries have been found to sometimes contain b12.

Eat the figs! Figs are great! Me and a dog once ate masses of figs off a tree in france. We both had so much fun!
Oak :)
Oak

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:21 pm

[quote="soniczip"]never saw a wasp inside a fig
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:27 pm

I used to work in a veggie restaurant in which figs were often used, but only in small amounts. Someone bought a huge sack of them once, so they sat around on the shelf for a while, and loads of little caterpillar things hatched out. I wasn't allowed to throw them out - the others insisted this would be a waste of money and that the figs had to be cooked with.
Hiking Fox

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:31 pm

It has suddenly occurred to me, with a cold sinking dread, that this means Jacob's Fig Rolls might not be vegan.

They're the only biscuit I really like!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :cry:
Hiking Fox

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating