How bad are ramen noodles?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

How bad are ramen noodles?

Postby jamesndawson » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:34 pm

I rarely eat ramen noodles---and when I do, only the vegan ones, of course---because they make me gain several pounds in just one day. But as this article claims MSG is bad for you, which I've learned recently isn't, I was wondering how scientific it really is.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/why-ramen- ... 27572.html
James
jamesndawson

Re: How bad are ramen noodles?

Postby blinki » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:30 am

Jack Norris on MSGmost of it is too much science for me to want to read so might answer your question
blinki

Postby jamesndawson » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:18 pm

Thanks. I've already read the MSG material by Jack. I was just wondering about the other parts. It's not a desperate issue. I was just curious about the credentials and/if/or how much the criticism of ramen noodles is being hyped.
James
jamesndawson

Postby Cade » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:18 pm

Hey James,

You could be "carb sensitive" in that flour products make you gain weight faster than the average person. I know that's my problem. I try to stick to protein and veggies for the most part but an occasional ramen soup shouldn't be too much of an issue. You could always add a lot of veggies to increase the fiber count so the noodles digest slowly.

As for MSG, I think some can tolerate it better than others but I don't see a need to have it in one's diet. Also, health food stores sell brands that don't have MSG so you should be okay.
Cade

Postby a.passmore » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:43 pm

I have the same problem. I can't eat ramen noodles becuase of the gluten - that could be your real issue. The combination of bloating and slowing your system can be deceptive. Maybe just eat them once in a while? I do that with vegan pizza.. sigh.. but it's more special like that ;)
a.passmore

Postby sonnyd7 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:25 am

I used to love instant ramen when I was younger but can't eat em now. They give me a killer upset stomach. I don't think I'm allergic to gluten either, cause I eat bread and other gluten products with no problems at all.

This is only with instant ramen though. If I eat fresh ramen noodles, I'm fine. Sun noodle makes some good fresh noodles, probably my favorite brand. http://sunnoodle.com/
Surfing is the art of dancing with the ocean
sonnyd7

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating