Miso: how to use

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Miso: how to use

Postby jamesndawson » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:13 pm

I bought a tub of Hikari miso a few months ago, but I'm just a little uncertain about how I should use it. I'm not really that much into cooking so what I've been doing is just using it as a sort of bullion---spooning out about a tablespoon of the paste into a cup, pouring boiling water into it, stirring it and drinking it. I suppose that's okay?

I don't hate the taste of miso, but I don't really like it that much either, so using it in recipes doesn't really appeal to me that much. But maybe it tastes better blended with other flavors than I'm aware of, so I might consider very simple recipes too.
James
jamesndawson

Re: Miso: how to use

Postby sergio » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:11 pm

You're not supposed to boil miso, only dissolve it in soups already cooked. As long as you do this, it should be ok. It's really salty so if you are going to use it in another recipes have this in mind. Sometimes I use it in things like pumpkin cream or sauces.

Even there's like one million of possible variations, miso soup is a really simple recipe (onions + seaweed + miso + water + tofu) and is perfect for the cold days ahead :)
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Postby Linnéa76 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:40 pm

White miso paste is good for making cheese sauce, I use this recipe but without the agar agar: http://www.realfood.com/blog/vegan-cashew-cheese-recipe
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby mo! » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:15 pm

i have never tried miso. Wanted to, but than its expensive and i also dont know what to do with it. Is there a real difference in taste between the differnt misos? If so, which colour for what?! :shock: ...
mo!

Postby sergio » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:24 pm

[quote="mo!"]i have never tried miso. Wanted to, but than its expensive and i also dont know what to do with it. Is there a real difference in taste between the differnt misos? If so, which colour for what?! :shock: ...

The darker, the longer has been fermented, hence the taste is stronger.

Also you have miso made out of soy (prob the most popular) but also rice, barley, chickpeas. I remember trying to find out a little bit about each one and losing interest because all the macrobiotic nonsenses that came up.
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating