New to EVERYTHING and need your help!

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

New to EVERYTHING and need your help!

Postby mdawsonclarke » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:40 am

Hey guys so im 3 months vegetarian (yay!) and maybe 8 chocolate bars away from being full vegan (dont hold me to that).

Im feeling great as is to be expected and feel Im eating pretty well, but as with anything theres always room for improvement so I thought Id throw some words around and see what you guys think? Ive googled this and that and asked a couple of my friends for their advice but with so many different opinions I felt a forum would be the best way to go, so here it is!

SO Im pretty much eating this every day and really enjoying it, but the main concern I have is my sugar consumption. I really, really like sweet things and that is reflected here. I have a fruitarian friend whos encouraging me to replace more and more of my meals with fruit and a gym buff friend whos really against it due to the high sugar.. anyway tell me what you think

Breakfast
1 1/2 cup cooked steel cut oats
1 banana
Some sliced almonds and coconut flakes
Cinnamon

Snack
Handful of almonds

Lunch
Smoothie consisting of;
1 banana
1/2 (sometimes a whole if Im really feeling hungry) avocado
1 1/2 cups of water
2 handfuls strawberrys
2 tbsp hemp hearts
1 tbsp hemp protein (is it overboard to be using both the protein powder and hearts?)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp almond butter
2 handfuls spinach

Snack
Almonds again

Then for dinner that varies a lot but its mostly vegetable, rice and pasta dishes (tagine, quinoa salads etc) so never anything really bad. Normally followed by more fruit like pineapple or a banana or something or some 80% dark chocolate for dessert.

Also, Im running 5-6 times a week, 2 of which will be 8-9km and the rest 6-7. Im a 23 year old, 178cm male at 74kg if that helps at all. I dont calorie count or anything so I dont really know whats going on on that front (I should probably start) but yea, ALL opinions are much appreciated! Truely, I really want to do this right and everyones opinion matters :)

Thanks guys,
Matt
mdawsonclarke

Re: New to EVERYTHING and need your help!

Postby blinki » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:49 am

A few bananas, some strawberries, maybe some pineapple? That's a normal, healthy amount. If you were to eat a tonne of fruit everyday then you might want to worry about whether it is healthy but you're not so don't.

I've never heard of a hemp heart in my life. If it's protein in take you are thinking about then I think some more could be a good idea. You're an active person and not eating much of it but for the sake of variety I'd go for something other than hemp- soy milk with your breakfast (will have added B12, you don't mention supplements but something with it added is good) or beans in your dinner. Processed proteins (or food in general) are fine too in balanced amounts.

I don't think you need to count calories if you don't want to but when you make any diet change it is worth keeping an eye on your weight so you can change your diet if it starts going in a direction you don't want it to. It's not uncommon for people to go vegan, cut out all processed foods and dairy fats and then loose weight (then discover vegan junk food a while later and pile it back on :lol:)
blinki

Re: New to EVERYTHING and need your help!

Postby JS » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:51 am

Congratulations on the 3 months :)

You eat the same thing every day for breakfast and lunch and you don't get bored? Wow!

I'm no diet expert and I certainly not a healthy eater but as Blinki says beans to add different protein to the mix - some tofu/lentils? B12 is very important so ensure you are getting enough - I personally supplement with veg1 from UK Vegan Society.

Generally with all that exercise and based on what some nutrionist just told me this morning I would try to ensure I getting as a rule of thumb 1.5 x my weight in KG to ensure quick recovery times from exercise. I don't calorie count either but it is not uncommon for people new to the plant based diet to not eat enough calories and lose weight so if you do notice weight loss and of course there's no underlying health issues it will be worth eating more :)
JS

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating