Phlegm-reduction through diet

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Phlegm-reduction through diet

Postby Superflor » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:22 am

Last few months, seem to be having a problem with phlegm build up. Have to clear throat a lot and it's affecting my singing- (had full "frog in the throat" start to an open mic set tonight).

Can't think of any changes I've made to my diet of late to bring this on.

Any foods to avoid/include, or things to do to prevent it? Starting to annoy me now.

Thanks.
Superflor

Re: Phlegm-reduction through diet

Postby blinki » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:00 am

I thought the only causes were colds/infections or allergies? So since it's unlikely to be a food allergy causing it, it wouldn't matter what you eat other than generally healthy to help with any illness you've got going on.
blinki

Postby JS » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:37 am

Oh no not good or pleasant - I only know of diary which of course you avoid so maybe you caught a bit of a bug?
JS

Postby ratfan » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:57 am

It is possible that a food type which has not caused a problem previously - now does so. Allergies or intolerance can build up over time, especially with foods that you consume frequently. Have you tried ditching wheat (if you eat it) for a few days? Is there another food type you eat a lot of, it may be worth having a break from that. Sadly soya can be a problem, as well as deadly night shade family members such as spuds, tomatoes, peppers etc. It might be worth consulting a nutritionist for tests. I'm guessing you don't smoke, so we can rule that out. I've known alcohol to be a problem re phlegm production. It could be due to environmental changes such as damp in the home or work place? I hope you get it sorted out.
ratfan

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating