Mango Peels: Nutritious? Palatable?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Mango Peels: Nutritious? Palatable?

Postby jamesndawson » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:06 pm

Should I eat my mangoes peel and all (except the seed of course)? How does the peel taste? This is what Wikipedia says:

Mango peel and pulp contain other compounds, such as pigment carotenoids and polyphenols, and omega-3 and -6 polyunsaturated fatty acids.[22]

Although not confirmed scientifically, mango peel pigments may have biological effects,[20][23] including carotenoids, such as the provitamin A compound, beta-carotene, lutein and alpha-carotene,[24] polyphenols[25][26] such as quercetin, kaempferol, gallic acid, caffeic acid, catechins, tannins, and the unique mango xanthonoid, mangiferin,[27] which are under preliminary research for their potential to counteract various disease processes.[28][29] Phytochemical and nutrient content appears to vary across mango cultivars.[30] Up to 25 different carotenoids have been isolated from mango pulp, the densest of which was beta-carotene, which accounts for the yellow-orange pigmentation of most mango cultivars.[31] Peel and leaves also have significant polyphenol content, including xanthonoids, mangiferin and gallic acid.[32]

The mango triterpene, lupeol,[33] is an effective inhibitor in laboratory models of prostate and skin cancers.[34][35][36] An extract of mango branch bark called Vimang, isolated by Cuban scientists, contains numerous polyphenols with antioxidant properties in vitro[37] and on blood parameters of elderly humans.[38]

The pigment euxanthin, known as Indian yellow, is often thought to be produced from the urine of cattle fed mango leaves; the practice is described as having been outlawed in 1908 due to malnutrition of the cattle and possible urushiol poisoning.[39] This supposed origin of euxanthin appears to rely on a single, anecdotal source, and Indian legal records do not outlaw such a practice.[40]
James
jamesndawson

Re: Mango Peels: Nutritious? Palatable?

Postby israel » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:32 pm

im not an expert - but just to give a first aid response until someone else will answer

i eat the mango peels - they are tasty to me - they might be a bit bitter - it also dependes on the mango - a sweet ripe mango should have a tasty peel - and i know many who eat them - some dont like the peel and dont eat it

usually what i hear on the peel of fruits and vegetables is that they have a better nutritional value than the inner fruit - but i also hear that they can contain some of the bad stuff like the chemicals which are spread on the fruits to kill bugs

if you eat the mango like it is you might get mango fiber stuck in your teeth - i belive its from the part which is the closest to the seed - if it bothers you you can cut pieces out with a knife i belive it solves the problem

(not sure about anything - just throwing thoughts which might be wrong )
israel

Postby jamesndawson » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:30 pm

Thanks Israel. I tried it this morning. Not terrible, but definitely not good. A little bitter. It tasted a bit like the pear cores I used to eat. I may only eat the peel occasionally even though it may be good for me.

I usually don't eat organic. There was a post on Pythagorean Crank on the cruelty of organic by the way (Organic is not Vegan). I suppose it'd be a controversial perspective. Organic farms usually include "meat" animals, and they're denied anti-biotics, so when they get sick, than can really suffer. This is what I've read anyway. So I already eat a lot of non-organic vegetables and I've never been too concerned about it. I wash it quick, but don't worry about scrubbing it or anything.

But I do wonder, if these peels and seeds are that good for you, as I've read from at least one reputable vegan source they are, wouldn't we as a species have evolved to like their bitterness? Doesn't it make sense that their bitterness is telling our body their not that good? Just asking.
James
jamesndawson

Postby blinki » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:27 pm

You made me curious so I tried it. Mine's wasn't bitter, it didn't have much taste really. At first it had the taste that flesh near the skin has but quite mild and gone after a few chews then it was chewy nothingness. Maybe it depends on the mango type?
blinki

Postby jamesndawson » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:29 pm

Maybe "bitter" wouldn't be quite the word for it, It did taste different to me that a peeled. Does it taste at all like a pear, with the skin, to you?
James
jamesndawson

Postby blinki » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:05 am

Not really, when I think about it I can see why you'd think pear but it wouldn't have sprung to mind to describe it. My dog didn't like it and she likes pear, if her opinion counts.
blinki

Postby jamesndawson » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:31 am

Well, what I'm saying is, that it didn't taste bad really, but I like the taste & texture of peeled better. Maybe the word I'm looking for is "pungent", but very mildly. Maybe I'll make smoothies with it now and then. I like the idea of getting a lot of good phytonutrients.
James
jamesndawson

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating