The do it yourself veganism

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

The do it yourself veganism

Postby XDieguitoX » Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:52 am

hello, my english are bad, because not my native tongue :P
Well i like to talk about the things we can made in our houses for eat, because here we don´t have vegan products, and we have like everywhere hidden animal products in al ot of ingredients, every day we find new shit in what we eat!
So i think it`s very important to us to do the things we like to eat, like home made bread, soy milk, etc, because you don´t have t pay some extra money for the industrial product and you know 100% what you´re eating too.
XDieguitoX

Postby Malcolms Billy » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:01 am

Hi XDieguitoX!

Welcome to the board! :D It's great to see someone from Latin America here, we're becoming very international :)
Don't worry about your English, it's fine. I think that the members who can speak fluent Spanish are in a minority, so there you go.
I think you are right. The best way to make sure that what you eat and drink is vegan is by making it yourself. That way you know what's in it. Which country in Latin America are you from? How is veganism looked at over there?

See ya,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Postby pazios2002 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:50 am

that is more and more true everywhere. I have begun to see more an more ingredients being slipped into the products around me that are from animals, even though the product says vegan. Ugh! :cry:

dairy protiens and dairy itself being the most often things set in. :cry:

what is a blessing is that some folks are allergic to dairy so despite the fancy names they use, the back of the package has to say "contains dairy" or " contains milk proteins" :o

then I have them to rights :D :D :D :D

More and more I have had to create things at home.
Thankyou and good day
pazios2002

Postby Rochellita » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:40 am

welcome XDieguitoX

I know what you mean- I became vegan in South Africa in 1986 and was the only vegan I knew there, so naturally I needed to make all my own stuff. I lived on basic whole foods: pulses and grains and lovely tropical fruits and vegetables. I didn't mind. My mum freaked out when I tried to make soymilk- I'll never live it down. It burned and boiled over and the kitchen stank for days :oops: It was my last attempt at making homemade soymilk. Here in (western) Europe we now have special soymilk and tofu making appliances- it would be worth you getting one if you can afford it- saves alot of hassle:D http://www.londonthing.force9.co.uk/soya/products.htm I know there are similiar products in the US which would be easier for you.

Anyway, I reckon DIY veganism is great, I for one, am starting to take things for granted and I eat alot more junk than I should just because I can and I get lazy.

If you want some advice on good vegan cookbooks teaching basics then let me know and I'll send you a list.

Rochelle
Rochellita
Site Admin

Re: The do it yourself veganism

Postby fat_vegan_bitch » Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:11 pm

Love your accent.

I live in Western Europe and even though there are "vegan products" available, I hardly buy them either because I don't like their taste or I find them over-priced.

That's why I've adopted a pretty healthy vegan diet where I make almost everything myself like you indicated. This seems like a lot of work, but it is rather a question of organisation than time. I don't even buy vegan products which weren't intended to be vegan products, like canned vegetables. Apart from fishy ingredients, I find there is nothing more unappetizing than this overcooked sludge they sell as veggies. Keeping dry stables is so much better, and fresh veggies I buy at the market.

You'd be surprised how many vegans live exactly like this around the world, regardless of social status or hemisphere and without having adopted this lifestyle through communication. It's like a sort of natural behavioral evolution where many arrive to form a behavioral group. Quite interesting.
fat_vegan_bitch

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating