Deep Fried Tofu Calories

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Deep Fried Tofu Calories

Postby jamesndawson » Mon May 19, 2014 5:28 pm

I regularly buy a brand of seasoned deep fried tofu at an Asian store, Than Son Tofu. It's got 4 chunks to a package, each about 1 x 2 x 3 inches. The nutrition info says there're 2.7 servings per pack, and each serving is 50 calories. So my understanding is that the whole package would be 2.7 x 50, or 135 calories. Is my math correct? That would make each chunk a little less than 60 calories each. Somehow, that seems a bit low to me, as I always thought tofu was a bit more caloric than that. A mis-perception? What do you think?
James
jamesndawson

Re: Deep Fried Tofu Calories

Postby mo! » Mon May 19, 2014 6:44 pm

Hey :)

The only fried Tofu i sometimes get is from a supermarket here. It says 300kcal per 100gr and it is 180gr per package. And when you eat a whole thing, you feel like puking. :mrgreen:
mo!

Postby jamesndawson » Mon May 19, 2014 9:19 pm

Well this says 226 grams for the pack, 46 more than yours. Yours, at 300 cals. per 100 grams, would be 30 calories per gram? Which would make your entire package come out to 540 calories, compared to my mere 135 (if I got the math right), which was what made me wonder.

I don't eat the whole package. Just one or two chunks, and I lightly fry it with a little oil, nutritional yeast and cajun seasoning, and put on a little seasoned salt, so I quite enjoy it.
James
jamesndawson

Postby Webb » Fri May 30, 2014 4:28 am

I can't say for sure about this particular situation, but I have seen some very iffy nutritional labels at my local asian market so it is not unreasonable for that to be incorrect.
Webb

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating