Do you think gene spliced has been proven safe? Why?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Do you think gene spliced has been proven safe? Why?

Postby beforewisdom » Fri May 16, 2014 9:24 pm

I've been seeing pro-GMO ( GMO being gene spliced ) people on the web who claim that gene spliced food has been proven safe by science AKA, no evidene for it being dangerous to human health.

Do you agree or disagree.

Why?
beforewisdom

Re: Do you think gene spliced has been proven safe? Why?

Postby silver » Sat May 17, 2014 8:18 am

Absence of evidence and all that.

It can't be proved safe, but I guess it can be proven beneficial. To Monsanto, for instance.

Instead of asking 'is it safe', shouldn't we be asking if the specific application is morally justifiable?

It seems to be being used as one more tool for putting food production in the control of a few people. That, to my mind, is wrong and far more scary than any DNA pollution that might be kicked up in the future. Although that's pretty scary too!
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby JP » Sun May 18, 2014 4:35 pm

like silver to me the ownership and corporate ownership of seed base is a bigger issue than the potential safety issues. Certainly the human health side doesnt worry me much, though the runaway genes issue is down to low likelyhood vs irreversable impact (like nuclear power arguments).
JP
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Mon May 19, 2014 3:41 pm

[quote="silver"]
Instead of asking 'is it safe', shouldn't we be asking if the specific application is morally justifiable?

It seems to be being used as one more tool for putting food production in the control of a few people. That, to my mind, is wrong and far more scary than any DNA pollution that might be kicked up in the future. Although that's pretty scary too!

That is a very interesting and important point, thank you.
beforewisdom

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating