What am I doing wrong?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

What am I doing wrong?

Postby MarcoGorelli » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:01 am

Hi all!

New to the forum, been vegan for almost a year. Aged 21, not obsessed with physical exercise but I do keep active (bodyweight exercises 3 times a week, plus I cycle everywhere I go), weighing in at around 80 kg, about 185 cm tall.

Here is an eating plan I was following a few weeks ago - calorie-wise it works brilliantly. Pity that the sheer volume of food made me go to the toilet more often than I would have liked, along with some unwanted farts.

breakfast - 70g porridge (with water), bread with nut butter, orange juice
snack - a fruit (usually apple)
lunch - 200g pasta with a vegetable or two, olive oil, 100g tofu, fennel seeds. glass of soy milk
snack - 20g dark chocolate, a few nuts (almonds usually), soy protein
dinner - 200g rice with a tin of a pulse (chickpeas are a favourite) or with 90g dried lentils, some vegetables, cumin, olive oil.

Since then I have tried reducing the volume of food and snacking more often, but this is leading me to being always hungry.

Any suggestions would be very, very happily received.

Thanks is advance!

Marco
MarcoGorelli

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Postby blinki » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:25 pm

You are either eating more overall or eating healthier which means more fibre and either/both of those will make you go to the toilet more. If you need to eat that amount and you don't want to eat junk then you just put up with it.

The farting could just be part of eating more or it could be you are eating more protein than you need or it could be you've started eating something you are a bit intolerant of. It's kind of impossible to say for sure but if it bother you then you can play around with your diet until you work out what causes it.
blinki

Postby baldy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:15 pm

[quote="MarcoGorelli"] Pity that the sheer volume of food made me go to the toilet more often than I would have liked, along with some unwanted farts.

How many times a day are we talking here?
When your eating higher fibre food, as is common in a vegan diet, you will tend you go more often. I would go as far as to say its probably better to go more often.
As long as you are not talking like 10 times a day, then maybe something is wrong. (it's a fairly common topic on VF and among vegans, feel free to share all about your bowel schedule).

With the farts, could be anything, lentils and beans are of course the most likely culprits. Might be the way you are cooking them, or just a matter of giving your body a chance to get used to them.

I am also 185cm tall, its a good height.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby MarcoGorelli » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:22 pm

I've reduced the portions of my meals and have started snacking more (rice cakes for the win) and feel absolutely fine now. I think I was just eating too much at once.

Thanks for your replies anyway!
MarcoGorelli

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating