Esselstyn diet and cholesterol

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Esselstyn diet and cholesterol

Postby Superflor » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:21 pm

So, being back in Britain I've been taking advantage of having the NHS and did one of those free health check thingmies down the local chemist's. Turns out that according to the guy that did the cholesterol test, if I was in the States they'd be treating me for it but here I am just under the level. This was a little bit annoying given that I feel I am a fairly active person who had already cut out marg, biscuits, oil on salads and tried to not go crazy with chips and crisps and stuff (although I fry a lot- veg sausages, tofu, onion and tomato based dishes etc and DO go for chips say once or twice a month maybe).

I was looking at the no oil, vegan diet said to reverse heart disease (Bill Clinton famously foillowing it) and thought that looked a bit awesome but am wondering about the effects of cutting out nuts (my main emergency food if I am out and about for hours) and whether this could drive me bonkers with boredom. I don't know if I need to cut out the salt (was using it for the iodine supposedly).

Anyone with any experience of this diet or general guidance on how I could lower the cholesterol without going insane? I'm currently nearly 43 and try and get to the gym 3+ times a week.
Superflor

Re: Esstlestyn (Esselstyn) diet and cholesterol

Postby Superflor » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:24 pm

Sorry, that should be Esselstyn diet
Superflor

Re: Esselstyn diet and cholesterol

Postby ratfan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi Superflor,

Did the chemist guy give you the actual readings? If your HDL is higher than your LDL that's good and may mean you don't have to worry too much. Here is a guide for each measure: The NHS says for healthy adults:
Total cholesterol should be 5.0 millimoles per litre (mmol/l) or lower. The average in the UK is actually around 5.5 mmol/l for men and 5.6 mmol/l for women. LDL cholesterol should be 3mmol/L or lower. HDL level above 1 mmol/l. Triglyceride level under 1.7 mmol/l.
If you do want to make some dietary changes it's not just the fats that can be problematic, if your diet is high (60% or more of total calories) in refined carbs that can have an impact too. But I believe one of the best ways to reduce cholesterol is to increase dietary fibre, both types, but soluble is most often suggested.
Good luck, I hope you get it sorted.
ratfan

Postby patriciasmith » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:29 am

Well I just wanna suggest you,before considering any weight loss program or diet plans,do detail study about it.Ensure, it's effectiveness;how many people prefers it? What your consultant say about it? just don't brush up the things.. Check 'em at your best level.. :)
patriciasmith

Postby blinki » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:16 am

I have nothing intelligent to say about cholesterol but snacks without nuts ain't so bad if you can be a bit organised about it. Roast chickpeas stay good forever in a tub. If you make your own cereal bars then they don't have all the crap in them. Dried fruit if you don't want to carry around fresh stuff, or want something in any supermarket. I think I made ok kale chips with the 1kcal spray thingys once. I know people who eat instant noodles dry, I've never been brave enough to try it myself. I'm pretty sure there's some fat free vegan sites with fairly healthy muffins and stuff.
blinki

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:08 pm

Hi Superflor,

Do you what you have to get to a real M.D. to get blood tests and to talk to him/her about the problem. As you know, some people are at a genetic disadvantage with cholesterol. They can do all the lifestyle things right and still have a problem. You want to make sure you are not one of them or if you are, that you get care you may( or may not ) need beyond dietary changes.

There are many very low fat vegan diet gurus out there.

IMHO, I think Esselsytn is the best. I've met him a number of times, and he is a very down to Earth science based former cardiac surgeon.

There is his big documentary to get you inspired called "Forks Over Knives".

When you are ready for more information Esselsytyn has a wide variety of books from the more serious to the more popular in tone.

The nice thing is that given the number of very low fat vegan diet gurus there are many recipe books. One of the most popular is http://fatfreevegan.com/, it is about "no added oil" which may be enough for you.

Good luck.

You look great for 42.
beforewisdom

Postby Linnéa76 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:07 pm

Hey Superflor, if I were you I'd get a second opinion from a doctor. If it turns out you really do have a problem, there's always things you can try to tweak your diet!
I remembered JP had this problem some years ago, maybe you'll find some useful ideas in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22176&hilit=cholesterol
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating