Vegan in Japan.... PI?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Vegan in Japan.... PI?

Postby YankeeBC » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:07 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I actually thought before coming here Vegan would be easier than in the states for eating out. I have however found that the language barrier and a culture that believes fish should be in everything has made it so I usually end up with a nice bowl of plain white rice (brown if they have it) and any salad they may have. I do not mind a salad, they have a really good dressing they make here that is horse radish based :P and then there is a pretty good ginger one. I have started eating before going out in town as well, just to make sure I am not absolutely starving by the time we get anywhere.

Some of the sushi is Vegan, this will be the first time I have ever suggested going to a sushi place but I would like to try some of the veggie sushi rolls they make.

Anyway I have found my own work around for Japan, it really helps to have regular access to a good grocery store with a big focus of course on the produce section. The problem I am facing now is an upcoming short while we are suppose to spend in the Philippines. There will be no fridge available to use, all the produce there is as a general rule either contaminated or rotted. A lot of people, myself got very sick from eating the produce (others I also assume form meat and such) the last time we went there. So at the moment I am planning on bringing protein powder (garden of life raw meal), Luna bars and some fruit buddies. We will also be limited in luggage, and likely limited to just a duffel bag or something of that extent. I have a feeling it is going to be a rough few weeks for more then just myself :)

Another bummer, the gym where we stay consists of a few kettle bells and one elliptical, and we are not really allowed to leave since people get kidnapped there all the time. I think my work outs will consist of running stairs and just whatever I can do on my own.

Any thoughts, ideas? Thank you :D
LIVE KINDLY
YankeeBC

Re: Vegan in Japan.... PI?

Postby hakko » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:48 pm

I met a guy who was stationed in Afghanistan (he wasn't a soldier but worked at a base). He wasn't allowed to leave because it was too dangerous so he had the option of watching movies or running endless laps at a 400m circuit. He said he never trained as much before because watching movies for that long wasn't appealing either. He later ran a marathon in 2:40. :) maybe it's a good thing! I think I'd bring tons of Clif bars, do plank and side plank exercises and run stairs too. Have fun :)
hakko

Postby JP » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:07 am

hey have you read the vegan japan book?

then again, thats mainly restaurant guides and good for tourists. When i visited japan i dont think i can say i have eaten as awesome food ever during my 22 years of being vegan, absolutely loved it! And didnt even have one roll of sushi during the time. Beautiful food.

but if you are in a smaller place that might not be all that easy...
JP
Site Admin

Postby YankeeBC » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:24 am

Thank you for the replies, I am just seeing these sorry go the delay :)

I have not read the vegan japan book, but I did read quite a bit online about trying to eat vegan in japan. I am not on the mainland but the island of Okinawa, so smaller. However I have found that quite a few places are more than willing to make a vegan friendly dish as long as you can get that across :). I just usually eat before going out so if I end up with a salad and a bowl of rice I am not to disappointed.

For the PI I am planning on bringing as many luna bars as I can fit along with my protein powder. I think my workouts will mostly consist of running stairs and maybe planks and free squats. Should be an interesting couple of weeks either way.
LIVE KINDLY
YankeeBC

Postby JP » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:45 am

i think the monks go through pretty much vegan diet phases, which is why it was sometimes easy to find the food. Also the macrobiotic thing seemed to be huge there which meant more options for vegans too.

hope you get to feast on the local awesome dishes though :)
JP
Site Admin

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating