Vitamin absorption in oil and in water

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Vitamin absorption in oil and in water

Postby israel » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:14 am

I wondered for a long time if i add oil to a salad does it hurt the absorption of the water soluble vitamins like vitamin c ? or taking vitamin b with oil ?

does fat- soluble vitamins get less absorbed if we eat them with lots of water drinking and food that contains lots of water

for instances i do know they say that adding oil to a salad is good cause it increases the oil-soluble vitamins absorption - so by this logic can this hurt the water soluble vitamin absorption ?

any thing extra anyone wants to add about this topic is welcomed
israel

Re: Vitamin absorption in oil and in water

Postby MH1896 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:45 am

wow i had a discussion about that only a few days ago. we didn't come up with answers though. it was sparked by my mom telling me that she'd heard that vitamins are better absorbed when the vegetable is consumed with fat (not necessarily oil). i thought it was nonsense :)
MH1896

Postby Gulliver » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:38 pm

My gut reaction is to say probably not. Your body is, to put it simply, very clever, and very good at getting what it needs from things that provide it. Evolution has led us to be able to separate water and fats incredibly well.
Herbivorous Rex - Higher-protein vegan recipes with bad food photography.
Use the code MP135271 to get 5% off at MyProtein (including rice, pea, hemp and soya protein)!
Gulliver

Postby sergio » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:23 pm

The fact that the issue isn't mentioned in average nutrition guides (both vegan and omni) I've read is already a hint. I'm assuming as long each vitamin has enough fat/water to be absorbed with, you'll be fine. Just a guess, of course.
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Postby tal » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:15 pm

Nothing to worry about. The digestion process takes hours - it's not like all the vitamins are absorbed the second you eat something.

The only thing that might make a difference to vitamin absorption is excessive fibre.
tal

Postby israel » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:22 pm

I just want to add the saying that oil helps absorb fat-soluble vitamins if you add it to a salad is pretty wide spread and i tend to think its true (maybe its an oil company scam) its very old its not new to say that oil helps fat-soluble vitamins absorb
israel

Postby VeganGraham » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:05 am

Do you have any reason to suspect that you have a vitamin deficiency ?
Is this really a problem ?
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby israel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:26 am

no - its not about me and adding vitamins to a salad i started giving my dog vitamin b50 its suppose to be good for joint problems ( it helps the nerves) and i put a little oil on it so she will eat it and i want to know if it hurts the vitamin absorption
israel

Postby Simon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:40 am

Fat is needed to maximize the absorption of certain important phytonutrients.

that does NOT mean put oil everywhere...you just need to consume a fatty plant food with your salads, for example, like nuts, avocadoes, etc. Oil is pretty much just empty calories, so anywhere else you can get fat in the plant world will be a much better choice (except maybe coconut products, which has massive amounts of saturated fat).

watch this video for more :

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/forego- ... dressings/
Simon

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating